Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

No Sound in Firefox

(1/3) > >>

thane:
I've set up Corepure64 on an old laptop I recently acquired (Lenovo X201 ThinkPad). It generally works ok, but in Firefox (59.0.1) there is no sound.

According to Mozilla Support, this is a known issue in Firefox 58 and 59 on certain linux distros, which will be fixed in Firefox 60:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/no-sound-firefox-59-linux

Since alsa speaker-test works and dbus is running (PulseAudio) I assume the Firefox issue is the culprit. However because this is the first time I'm trying Corepure64 (and on a box I hadn't used before) I'd like to double-check. Anybody else have similar issues?

coreplayer2:
Hello Thane,   The simplest and most reliable resolution to the sound issue is install pavucontrol.tcz and setup pulseaudio as per the info file. 

http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/pulseaudio.tcz.info

When setup correctly use pavucontrol to resolve the audio feed and volume

beerstein:
As far as I know, Firefox needs pulseaudio. Alsa alone, even when "speaker-test" works", can not enable sound in Firefox/Youtube.
Chromium Browser does not need the Pulseaudio sound server.

Sound is a bit tricky in Core. It works after installing alsa-config.tcz and alsa.tcz. But after reboot sound is gone. It has something to do with the asound.state file in /usr/local/etc/alsa

Is there somebody out there who can give me a hint?

Rich:
Hi beerstein

--- Quote from: beerstein on March 22, 2018, 04:37:13 AM --- ... It works after installing alsa-config.tcz and alsa.tcz. But after reboot sound is gone. It has something to do with the asound.state file in /usr/local/etc/alsa ...
--- End quote ---
That's not a persistent file. Maybe you need to add  usr/local/etc/alsa/asound.state  to your  /opt/filetool.lst  file and run
a backup?

coreplayer2:
Mozilla developers went with Pulse-Audio as the only working interface between Firefox and the audio driver. There is no remaining access to the Alsa driver within firefox, however the code has not been removed in case of future development.    There are ways overcome the situation without installing pulseaudio but they are unreliable.
So as it stands today, if you use firefox and want sound the most reliable and best resolution IMO is install and setup pulse-audio.     Pulse-audio is a dependency of pavucontrol so installing pavucontrol will give you the best volume and audio stream control possible, though you'll have to setup pulse-audio as per the info file for flawless operation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version