WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: BlueZ and pand (BlueZ bluetooth PAN daemon)  (Read 7107 times)

Offline daemonjax

BlueZ and pand (BlueZ bluetooth PAN daemon)
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
Lately I've been trying really really hard to tether a laptop running tinycore 2.1 rc1 to a g1 phone using bluetooth... It's been quite an adventure (mostly due to my inexperience in such matters).

Anyways, I seem to be stuck...  basically here's what I got so far:

1) I start the tethering app on my g1 phone

2) I pair up using the bluez-gnome package

3) I add bnep using modprobe

4) I use sdptool to browse the services on on the phone

5) stuck (pand not inlcuded in bluez package  ???)

So, I found bluez 4.41 source tarball (which the bluez tce package is based on) and I've located the source code for pand (it's in the compat folder).  Of cource, it's been about 6 years since I've compiled anything in C for linux... and I remember it always being next to impossible for me (I'm a java guy).  

Any advice?

Update: I've done more reading after my complete failure of compiling pand for bluez 4.41, and it SEEMS that pand was deprecated for bluez 4.x... yet, there's no information on the internet for how to connect to a wireless network over bluetooth using BlueZ 4.x...  I will attempt to compile something from 3.x.

Update2: Oddly enough, I get the same problem with bluez 3.x, which even has a specific pand source folder... it just skips it during compilation.... I'm currently searching other forums for how to get PAN working with bluez 4.x, but I don't think anyone has gotten it to work without pand because I can't find any information on the subject.

Update3:  I give up.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:57:11 PM by daemonjax »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: BlueZ and pand (BlueZ bluetooth PAN daemon)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »
If I've understood correctly, you're trying to connect a tc machine to a mobile phone over bluetooth in order to use the mobile phone's wifi connection (as opposed to the mobile phone's GPRS or 3G connection) to the Internet - is that correct?

Offline daemonjax

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Yes, except it could also use the 2g or 3g connection... depending on what's available.  It's just the whole pand thing that's getting me stuck... Supposedly pand isn't required to in BlueZ 4.x, but I haven't read any success stories with setting up a PAN without pand...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:20 AM »
In the dsl forum, I made a "howto' post about how to make a connection to the Internet via a mobile phone connected over GPRS - you should see find it by searching on "bluetooth" from the beginning - is this helpful, or am I missing the point?

Offline daemonjax

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
I think doing it over GPRS is a different animal, but I WILL check it out :D  

If my C++ coding fu was better, I'd be able to get pand to compile for TCE.  In a way I feel like I failed the TC community a bit, since pand is really useful.

Update:  Yeah, that method uses dialup (which I can't even try), while I'm tying to create a PAN over BNEP which required pand.  I'm considering trying to compile Bluez 3.36 again (which is what debian lenny uses), and try to resolve those whole problem with it skipping the pand source directory during compile.  That's a real WTF moment for me, but I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm doing :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:24:34 PM by daemonjax »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:13:28 AM »
I hadn't realised there's a "--enable-pand" switch in bluez.

It seems to compile OK in bluez-4.43, if you send me a PM, I can pass you a version to test (since I've no idea how to test pand myself).