WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Google CUPS Conector  (Read 2476 times)

Offline bkm

Google CUPS Conector
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
Has anyone tried using the "Google CUPS Connector" script to set up a Google Cloud print server with PiCore?

This is the Google script info I am referring to: https://github.com/google/cloud-print-connector

It would make sense to go this route so that chromebook PC's could then interface to pretty much any USB printer supported by CUPS. Currently you are limited to only cloud print enabled printers, but there are many, many early printers out there that would get a fresh lease on life with this. For example, I still use a HP Laserjet 1200 that has almost a million printed pages registered and I see no need to give it up yet.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this yet with PiCore. A RPi makes the perfect dedicated server and PiCore pretty much  eliminates the possibility of corrupting the OS during power failures. It truly becomes a maintenance free fix for cloud printing locally.

I did a few searches through the forum search bar, but didn't see anything around this topic. Hopefully someone has played with this already.

Thanks in advance for any info you can point me toward.

BKM :)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Google CUPS Conector
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Chromebooks now have native printer support.  You don't need Cloud Print.

Offline bkm

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Chromebooks now have native printer support.  You don't need Cloud Print.

Hmm... Well this is what I keep finding in the chrome google searches and the chrome apps area:

"This Chrome extension allows you to print directly to compatible network printers or a CUPS print server from Chrome and Chromebooks. No Cloud Print required."

From what I read everywhere (at least so far) is that you can only print to network printers, or CUPS print servers. What I probably incorrectly assumed was that the "Google CUPS connector" script was a requirement for this. So maybe I will just setup a PiCore CUPS server and try the extension to see if I can make it work without the connector script.

It doesn't appear that you can directly connect a USB printer to a chromebook yet, since there is no way to load printer drivers on ChromeOS, but I may not need the special google script. May just need to RPi CUPS setup.

Thanks for prodding me to re-read the material. My earlier research may have colored my assumptions about the cloud print requirement. ??? :-[

BKM
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:21:59 PM by bkm »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
Just go into advanced setup->printing.
You can add a networked printer.
No extension needed.
This is a new feature in version 59.