WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No Xorg-intel graphics dCore-xenial  (Read 2405 times)

Offline nitram

No Xorg-intel graphics dCore-xenial
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »
On same old hardware, dCore-jessie runs fine using xorg-intel, graphics-3.16.6 extension and xorg.conf file. When using dCore-wily on same hardware only worked with xorg-vesa, poor 800x600 resolution. Trying to set up dCore-xenial, can't boot to graphics at all. Tried w/out graphics-4.2.9 extension, xorg-all and xorg-intel. Boots to black screen, green monitor light still on, can't even activate multivt to review xorg  log file, need to REISUB out. Will try xorg-vesa later but don't like the resolution.

Hardware is intel i810 graphics, very old yes but works perfectly fine in dCore-jessie, ~1280x800 resolution. Anything else to try? Does graphics-4.2.9 support i810? Does Ubuntu drop graphic support before Debian? See i810 messages during intial boot so the hardware is recognized to some extent. Posted using links2 from non-graphic dCore-xenial :)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: No Xorg-intel graphics dCore-xenial
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:15:04 AM »
Perhaps this page explains it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/i810

Offline nitram

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Thanks for trying, link wasn't useful, web searches useless, i810 graphics so 2001 !

After much time trying everything imaginable (w/out xorg.conf tweaks, intel vs vesa, boot codes, etc) 800x600 with vesa only. Tried upgrading TC6 -> TC7, exact same behaviour. Don't know if dCore's xorg-intel is from TC7 or from Ubuntu repo proper, but same result, only vesa works, extremely poor resolution without xorg.conf, which  gets it up to 800x600. Not bad actually if you take the time to adjust toolbar, icon and font sizes but i'm used to 1200x800.

So exact same hardware and xorg.conf file runs dCore-jessie and TC6 perfectly. Maybe approaching end of the road, appears  i810 support silently dropped, >15 years is a good run and Jessie gets LTS until 2020. If this hardware is still around and dCore-stretch gets released, will give that a go too. Posted from TC7, 800x600, Dillo. Otherwise TC7 is nice, thank-you to all the volunteers that make it happen.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
nitram - everything related to Xorg in dCore is imported from the Debian/Ubuntu repos.  Only the kernel modules - found in graphics-4.2.9-tinycore or whatever the kernel name - is provided as prebuilt as well as some basic files found in Xtc, but no drivers. 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:49 AM »
Intel has stated they won't support those old chips. Getting a PCI graphics card would be good.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 05:18:42 AM »
Hi curaga. This old workhorse boots eight distributions plus an offline WinXP install with DOS -> WinXP legacy games, swapping hardware would take forever to re-configure everything. If hardware dies so be it, but it's run forever, think the old stuff built better. Regardless got graphics running nice in dCore-xenial with default xorg-intel driver, outlined in another post. Simple xorg.conf modification got desired result (Option  "DRI"  "false"). So bearing hardware failure i expect to use this system past 2020. TC is such a blessing, with proper software 800 MHz system runs TC and dCore snappier than my other 1.8GHz box with Debian Wheezy LXDE. Always get a chuckle seeing Debian forum posts about their lean installs. For completeness if it helps other old hardware users upgrade to dCore-xenial, an xorg.conf file will most likely be required, try the DRI false option before turfing hardware:
Code: [Select]
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 96.0
          VertRefresh     50.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option     "DRI"          "false"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Modes "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
OK then. Just expect newer versions getting more and more broken with those graphics.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.