WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Automount CD+DVD+USB ?, esp. UDF and other filesystems?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
Automount CD+DVD+USB ?, esp. UDF and other filesystems?
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:57:22 PM »
I searched for and read several posts discussing automount of CDs, DVDs, and USB drives, the consensus appearing to be additions and changes to udev rules, but did not find any examples.  Anyone have specifics?  Or alternatively, a way to give the 'staff' group permission to use mount/umount?  I could do it with chmod +s, but I understand that's generally not preferred.

J.E.B.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:15:35 PM by jonathanbrickman0000 »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Automount CD+DVD+USB ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
The default busybox mount and umount allow normal user access to mount and umount supported drives.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Re: Automount CD+DVD+USB ?, esp. UDF?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:22:41 PM »
Aha!  I get it; I was missing file systems.  OK.  I found that an iso9660 ISO mounted AOK, but UDF didn't.  I installed filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz, but it still didn't mount the UDF, I still get the little readme.txt.  I also put ntfs-3g and fuse in there, but haven't tested them yet.  Any thought of how to do UDF?

J.E.B.

Offline maro

Re: Automount CD+DVD+USB ?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »
I'm not sure, but have you tried: sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever ; sudo mount -t udf /dev/whatever /mnt/whatever ?

Re: Automount CD+DVD+USB ?, esp. UDF and other filesystems?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
I'm not sure, but have you tried: sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever ; sudo mount -t udf /dev/whatever /mnt/whatever ?
Hadn't tried it with the 'sudo'.  Apparently without 'sudo' it won't do UDF, but with 'sudo' it will.

Is there an easy way to give the user permission to do removable-media mounts of all kinds, including iso9660, FAT/FAT32, UDF, ext3, reiser, jfs, and ntfs-3g ?  I'm not sure it's enough of a security difference to bother not using 'sudo', but I like to ask anyhow :-)

J.E.B.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:15:02 PM by jonathanbrickman0000 »

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
Good to read that you are making progress. My hunch is that '/usr/bin/rebuildfstab' is not (yet) smart enough to deal with the 'udf' filesystem format. That is not much of a surprise as 'udf' in not part of the Core.

Now, to move things along it would be good to know what 'rebuildfstab' has done so far. So what is the result of: grep whatever /etc/fstab (obviosly using the device name instead of 'whatever'  ;D)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:44 AM »
I might have overlooked that detail, but wondering, do you intend to mount UDF readonly or read/write?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »
Definitely readonly, ditto iso9660.  They will be real readable disks only :-), no images, no burners.  

The rest of the filesystems do need to be read/write, which means I may not be able to quite do it all (I understand about ntfs-3g), but I do wonder if the 'coreutils' mount knows how to integrate ntfs-3g like Fedora's; that would be just dandy.  Isn't ntfs-3g still a user-level fuse filesystem?

The /etc/fstab line is:

Code: [Select]
/dev/hdc   /mnt/hdc   auto   noauto,users,exec   0 0 # Added by TC
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:44:30 AM by jonathanbrickman0000 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 07:28:26 AM »
Definitely readonly, ditto iso9660.  They will be real readable disks only :-), no images, no burners. 

iso9660 is a readonly file system, while UDF is a read/write file system, but there is more procedure involved than simple mounting to actually be able to write to UDF formated disks, that is why I asked what is intended.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
Gotcha.  I had to bone up on UDF, I see what you mean.  No, we definitely don't need to go there :-)

Offline vincentyu1130

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
Starting from 2.6.26 Linux fully support all versions of UDF, so why am I still getting "unknown filesystem type 'udf'" when mounting udf based iso in TinyCore? Is TinyCore kernel specially built to omit UDF support?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
Hi vincentyu1130
Did you install the  filesystems  extension?

Offline vincentyu1130

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »
I couldn't find anything related to udf with app browser. I'll try lsmod to see of udf is present in the kernel.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
I couldn't find anything related to udf with app browser. I'll try lsmod to see of udf is present in the kernel.

Do as Rich advised. Install the filesystems-KERNEL.tcz extension (replace KERNEL with version matching your system)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline vincentyu1130

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »
Done as said. Works fine now!!
Thanks.