WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: DropBox on TC  (Read 2225 times)

Offline j.lj.heng

DropBox on TC
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Hello Everyone:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question... but here it goes:

I have been able to install DropBox successfully on my TinyCore OS (installed to my HDD).  But I'm not sure how persistence works in TC (I'm pretty new to all of this).

Whenever I reboot TinyCore, my dropbox installation, files, etc. are all gone.  Is there a special way to install Dropbox so that settings/files remain in place after they have been installed?

I basically install dropbox via command line as instructed here: https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

I don't know of a dropbox 'package' for TC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jake

Offline Misalf

Re: DropBox on TC
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
By default,  /home/$USER  and  /opt  are saved to the backup file (/etc/sysconfig/tcedir/mydata.tgz).

If you have lots of data in those directories (g.e due to dropbox), you could either use kernel boot codes to specify partitions where those files will be found (instead of the file system in RAM; plus removing these dirs from backup) or you could create symlinks from some big directories, pointing to some actual storage media. The latter on is what I use (often needs linux file system to preserve file permissions).
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »
/usr/local/dropbox-dist  (if it doesn't install to $HOME) is the main directory which is lost after reboot since it's in RAM.
I do have made myself a dropbox.tcz extension. It's about 75MB though.

I have attached the contents of my extension without actual files from dropbox (dropbox.py would go in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/dropbox-dist would need to be filled with what dropbox.py downloaded). So that you have a wbar icon and a startup script that creates  /usr/share/X11/xkb  (symlink) which dropbox expects to exist.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:08:11 AM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Frant

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 01:35:34 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the download Misalf. Works great.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
A Dropbox extension seems to be familiar from some time back but can't easily verify from which TC version due to http://packages.tinycorelinux.net being down..

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
You can find  dropbox.tcz  in the TC4 repository.