WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Ondemand undesirable behaviour ($PATH)  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Scampada

Ondemand undesirable behaviour ($PATH)
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:16 PM »
Hi,
haven't got precise search results, so there are many as casual topics as mine, I believe I can write...
The issue is in the picture. Thanks for watching. Tack så mycket för dina responserna.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:53:03 PM by Scampada »
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline Misalf

Re: Ondemand undesirable behaviour ($PATH)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
What version of Core?
Did you try latest release candidate? There have been made improvements to the ondemand feature lately.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20096.0.html
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Scampada

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:16:34 AM »
I cannot easily try another version if its improvements are based on kernel image changes.
I brewed the thing with several kernel patches together, like fbcondecor and some other crazy stuff.
So, I can only get a new core, extract some files from its core.gz and put them into mine one.

If you know where to find detailed information of what was changed to gain this improvement, I will try.
But I'm a bit confused, I thought the whole ondemand job is based only on $PATH variable and a bunch of scripts.
Removing the whole ondemand thing from $PATH makes the system work as planned. But doesn't matter where you put it, $ondemand:$PATH or $PATH:$ondemand, it does unnecessary actions.

...and I can't even recall which version I have. I'm under another OS now. Maybe I can try to chroot and get this, or just search core.gz for it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:20:12 AM by Scampada »
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:52:20 AM »
I'm talking about 7.2rc1. The changes have actually partially been implemented in 6.x already, but were accidentally missed for Core 7.x x86. CorePure64 got additional changes too, though.

I tried vim via ondemand - works at my end using Core 7.2rc1 x86.

The kernel was not changed. Only scripts in  core.gz .
The kernel usually doesn't change in major versions of Core Linux. Only if severe problems need to be addressed.

If you are using a custom initrd, I'd recommend a setup where you always load the default  core.gz  and load your custom initrd after that (containing only files you have changed - this will overwrite default files in RAM). This way it's easier to update by simply replacing core.gz without the need to remaster again. That's what I do and I'm happy with that.

To view the changes, see here
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18873.msg124916.html#msg124916
or here
http://git.tinycorelinux.net/index.cgi?url=Core-scripts.git
(for git, you may need to have to reload the page several times in order for it to correctly load)

Your $PATH variable is correct. /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand  must be at the end, so ondemand scripts will only run if nothing else was found in  $PATH .

If you have other means to access the file system (extracting core.gz or ssh), you can check the version by reading  /usr/share/doc/tc/release.txt .

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:55:48 AM by Misalf »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:24:43 AM »
Note that, albeit not visible in git for some reason, not only  /etc/init.d/tc-functions , but also  /usr/bin/ondemand  got some small changes to correctly execute apps and create ondemand scripts using quoted args.
So you might need to remove your current ondemand entries and recreate them using Apps (or manually, just change  @  ->  "@").
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:30:30 AM by Misalf »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 05:54:24 AM »
Hi Scampada
...and I can't even recall which version I have. I'm under another OS now. Maybe I can try to chroot and get this, or just search core.gz for it.
From the command line enter:
Code: [Select]
versionto find out what version you are running.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
No need to blame the Core scripts anyway. It's better to look more closely at oneself actions. I just realized that, my ondemand script (and actual subject file) was named as vim while the actual module was vim74.tcz. (I had built it from source having original vim files in the same folder.) The issue is localized and dealt with, then. Moony me, haha.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:48:27 PM by Scampada »

Offline Scampada

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »
Yet the version is probably older than yours, for that the tc-functions.diff file contains several lines of code (context && to be removed) which are not presented in my tc-functions file. Therefore I assumed that the original file to be patched must be of newer version than mine. It's no matter, it's all working now... I'll consider updating. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:49:17 PM by Scampada »