WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: jwm query  (Read 1530 times)

Offline nitram

jwm query
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
From someone's old wiki notes, questionable whether jwm works in dCore. Installed it and noted some .tar.gz extra files, so it looks like there was some work put into getting it running for dCore? Nice clean interface, tested for wiki update and noted:
- no ondemand menu
- no dCore menu (eg. control panel, fltk-editor, etc)
- selecting terminal from menu does not work
- selecting exit from menu does not launch exittc, just exits to TTY

Don't use jwm myself but it was very popular, especially in the Puppy world. Just wanted to report Jason. If you decide to do some work on it, would be happy to retest. Otherwise will remove the entry from the wiki. Thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: jwm query
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:36:49 PM »
JWM is a valuable small WM and I will aim to update it's files to support the latest versions, as an update in JWM is apparently the cause of the breakage.

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
Re: jwm query
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 03:07:14 PM »
Yeps, the new(er) versions breaks the old config files in quite a few ways. I patched the panel at least, to work with the old config file, but was quite dissapointed the developer wasn't quite open to reason with me (at that moment at least). He just stated his view and was done with it. But I guess my patch did add code where it shouldn't be, and isn't as clean as it could be...
So I'm just using the newest JWM with my own patch at the moment.
And I don't feel like pestering him any more, as I'm making my own WM, which will encapsulate all the essential features of JWM in a much smaller and efficient package.

But the menu-problems stated here seems to be a problem that I only experienced in a short-lived version between the recent versions. Seems to be v2.3.3, from the news page: https://joewing.net/index.shtml
Is it v2.3.3?
You can always run "jwm -p" in a terminal to see the parsing errors.
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts