WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC and MC 2.1rc1  (Read 2178 times)

Offline meo

TC and MC 2.1rc1
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
Hi Robert!

Have just briefly tested the new rc's of both TC and MC and everything looks fine so far. Good work! I just have a question about the different xservers for microcore. Which one is likely to be best for an old laptop? I have just tried the usual that comes with Tiny Core and that one works fine. I'm just a little bit curious about the Xorg-vesa.lite.core.tcz. What's the difference between the original and this one? I could just try it out but that might not tell me so much therefore this question.

Have fun developing TC and MC further,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: TC and MC 2.1rc1
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »
I will defer your question to Curaga, as he worked on implementing this.
I will take a guess, I believe the the Xvesa used in Tiny Core is smaller and the num light is not supported. The Xorg-xvesa.lite is larger with support for the num light. Since I don't even have a num light I cannot be sure.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
Hi again Robert!

Thanks, for the answer! I might give it a shot to see if I notice any diffrernce.

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:40:43 AM »
Xorg-vesa-lite is a small build of the full Xorg, not Xvesa. So it supports a lot of features not in Xvesa; numlock led should be one of them :)

It should require no configuration, and automatically use the best vesa resolution for your monitor.
It doesn't include any 3d support nor accelerated drivers, only the vesa, keyboard and mouse drivers. That should put it between Xvesa and Xorg in functionality.

Oh, and since it has the X generic event extension, the (harmless) warning won't be seen when using it :P
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »
I'd also guess that the 'extra' click in Xvesa to use the mouse pointer would not be present

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
Hi curaga!

Thanks, for your explanation. Before I saw your answer I had posted a couple of questions starting another thread. Sorry for that. By the way, thanks for abiword, it works perfect with microcore. I use it a lot.

Have fun and keep up your good work with TC and MC,
meo