WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can't mount audio cd or access with dd  (Read 1443 times)

Offline modulusshift

Can't mount audio cd or access with dd
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
Hello,

So I'm trying to use Tiny Core Linux on my mom's really, really slow laptop to create an iso of an audio CD so I can process it on my cd drive-less newer computer. Ideally, this would be done with "dd if=/dev/sr0 | bzip2 -c | ssh user@address 'bzip2 -d | dd of=cd1.iso'", but dd says "Input/output error", the mount tool won't mount it, manually mount-ing says "Invalid argument", and ddrescue gives one big error the exact size of the whole cd. (!?!)

I took the cd out and mount says "No medium found" so it can at least detect there is a CD, but none of the above makes it spin up. Windows still detects it, but just opening the file browser to look at it took like 15 minutes, so I'd really really rather not do it there, if possible.

I can't think of anything else. What can I do? Or is this just screwed and I need to suffer the Windows?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Can't mount audio cd or access with dd
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
Audio CDs do not have an ISO filesystem. You can't mount them.

Offline NewUser

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
If Mom's laptop runs Windows, search for a program called LCisoCreator.  It's a single file, so no installation to worry about and it will (eventually) create an iso file out of any CD.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »
Usually you'd rip it to wav files, using cdparanoia or cdda2wav. Then maybe encode into mp3, flac, vorbis, etc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.