WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: irssi  (Read 3536 times)

Offline emninger

irssi
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
I hate Xchat  - and i like somehow irssi: Can irssi be found for for the recent tinycorlinux?

TIA

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: irssi
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
You can check the repo yourself with Apps or tce-ab.

Offline emninger

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
It does not exist ... (?) Otherwise i wouldn't have asked. But i saw it was there for earlier versions of tcl ...

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
Tiny Core Linux » Tiny Core Extensions » TCE Talk » Extension requests
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/board,46.0.html
(;
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline emninger

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
Tiny Core Linux » Tiny Core Extensions » TCE Talk » Extension requests
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/board,46.0.html
(;

Seems i'm blind ... ???

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
I hate Xchat  - and i like somehow irssi...
Hate is a strong word, i'm sure the programmer is proud of his/her creation :(

irssi.tcz is present in TC 4, have you tried it? Similar dependencies can still be found in TC 6, except you can try substituting libssl-0.9.8.tcz with openssl.tcz.
http://packages.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?cont=lists&ccname=repolist1&act=view&gcb=12161
http://packages.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/component/chronoconnectivity5?cont=lists&act=index&ccname=deplist1&id=12161

Download from here and test:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/

If it doesn't work, try to build yourself although no build notes were left behind in /src.

At the very least PM the original maintainer, request TC 6 update before making a new request. Thanks.

Offline emninger

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »
I hate Xchat  - and i like somehow irssi...
Hate is a strong word, i'm sure the programmer is proud of his/her creation :(

You're right! I'm sorry ...  :(

irssi.tcz is present in TC 4, have you tried it? Similar dependencies can still be found in TC 6, except you can try substituting libssl-0.9.8.tcz with openssl.tcz.
http://packages.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?cont=lists&ccname=repolist1&act=view&gcb=12161
http://packages.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/component/chronoconnectivity5?cont=lists&act=index&ccname=deplist1&id=12161

Download from here and test:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/

If it doesn't work, try to build yourself although no build notes were left behind in /src.

At the very least PM the original maintainer, request TC 6 update before making a new request. Thanks.

Thanks for the pointer. I wasn't aware there are other repos than the default ones (i.e. those whereto points Apps).

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »
The TC 4 link above is not a proper TC 6 'repo' for Apps, just for manual downloading to /optional for temporary testing. Don't matter, tested the TC 4 version of irssi.tcz for you and it does not work in TC 6, primarily due to new openssl.

Good news i was able to compile latest irssi for TC 6 x86. Will PM you download links for testing. Don't know anything about chat but it opens nicely in a terminal window with ncurses. Let me know how it works. Just a basic extension for now, didn't trim any fat or create a desktop icon. If issues will try to remedy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:48:02 AM by nitram »

Offline emninger

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
The TC 4 link above is not a proper TC 6 'repo' for Apps, just for manual downloading to /optional for temporary testing. Don't matter, tested the TC 4 version of irssi.tcz for you and it does not work in TC 6, primarily due to new openssl.

Exactly. Same here although i even installed libssl ... it does  not come up in the terminal window.

Good news i was able to compile latest irssi for TC 6 x86. Will PM you download links for testing. Don't know anything about chat but it opens nicely in a terminal window with ncurses. Let me know how it works. Just a basic extension for now, didn't trim any fat or create a desktop icon. If issues will try to remedy.

I encounter some problems with downloading/installing the files you sent me by links in pm. Anyway, i'll try later on or this evening or after tomorrow.

Thanks a lot in any case. When it comes up, i think it's a "piece of cake" to get it working properly :)

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
Just checked the links, all good. Not sure what problem you're encountering. Just download irssi.tcz and irssi.tcz.dep into /optional, ensure /optional contains every TC 6 extension (not from TC 4) listed in the .dep file, load irssi.tcz and test. You can review the irssi.tcz.build-dep file provided to see how the extension was compiled and built. You can also load  squashfs-tools.tcz  and run  unsquashfs irssi.tcz  to review extension contents.

Offline nitram

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Forgot to mention, once downloaded irssi.tcz can be loaded via Apps -> Load App Locally or  terminal using  tce-load -i irssi.tcz. No desktop icon yet so just run  irssi  from terminal to test. Appeared to work fine in TC's default terminal.

Offline GravityBox

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
Hi! I'm relatively new to this forum but I've been using TCL for years, ran into the same problem as OP:

Irssi from the 4.x repo depends on libssl-0.9.8, which, works fine in tcl 6.x -- However, something has changed and the original irssi's dependence upon the perl5 library is outdated - irssi won't actually run.

I've taken the time to install the necessary dev libraries (perl5, openssl, ncurses, glib2) and recompiled it for tcl 6.x. Emailed the package to the proper email; I'm just waiting on a response.

@eminger: If you want to pm me I'll send you the tcz's for the newer build of irssi; I feel like just posting it without proper authorization would be disrespectful to the people working so hard to keep this so organized and maintained :)

EDIT: Should have made this clear; I actually made the extension submittable to the repo, and also submitted it, so it should be available in the 6.x repos soon enough assuming I haven't made any errors. So you could just wait for it to be in the repo, or like I said, pm me and I'll send you the new package for irssi
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:03:36 AM by GravityBox »

Offline nitram

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Sorry i should have posted earlier, i also submitted irssi.tcz v.8.17 to TC x86 repository more than one week ago, including source and build-dep notes. Never got any testing feedback so i learned it's basic use, tested okay opening port and connecting. So someone's version of irssi should be in the repository soon.

This duplication of effort has happened at least a couple times in the recent past, as it can sometimes take 1-2 weeks for a submitted extension to get added to the official repository. Almost should be an official 'in the cue' list or sub-forum or something. At the risk of 'blogging', i will make an effort to post extensions i have submitted.

Offline GravityBox

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
Oh wow. Well, I guess it's not entirely a waste - I use irssi a LOT, not having it would have been crippling for me. I also agree that there should be a subforum for people to post when they're working on an extension - it would eliminate a lot of duplicate work, and also help the extension developers (such as I'd like to be) to collaborate more efficiently. And also allow advanced users to download an unofficial tcz package (at their own risk) to help test updates to extensions or newly created ones.

That being said, since I've built the same version as you have, I've had no issues whatsoever so far despite heavy use - seems to be working fine.