WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tcwbarconf changes are not permanent  (Read 6020 times)

Offline emninger

Re: tcwbarconf changes are not permanent
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »
OK, xwbar.lst

Sorry, i do not understand ...  :-\

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:06 AM »
The file is xwbar.lst, and you have it.

Offline emninger

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 03:08:20 AM »
The file is xwbar.lst, and you have it.

But, as far as i understand xwbar.lst contains the items that has been excluded from the wbar. Not those included - at least on this machine it works in that way.

Remains, that ~/.wbarconf contains only basic settings:
Code: [Select]
c: wbar --bpress --pos bottom --zoomf 2 --isize 32 but nothing about the apps included to it. Those values are in /usr/local/tce.icons wherefrom controlpanel > tcWbarConf also seems to read (and write) them.

So, one way to make changes permanent would  be to include /usr/local/tce.icons into the backup list (?)

Or, when i delete the symbolic link to tce.icons (~/.wbar) and migrate the settings (by hand) to ~.wbarconf tcWbarConf, then,  would read from that file?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 05:36:47 AM »
What changes do you want to make permanent?

Offline emninger

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
ControlPanel > tcWbarConf (changes of the order of appearance, excluding also some)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 04:46:55 AM »
The config for WBar (/usr/local/tce.icons holds entries for icons) gets rewritten based on installed apps.
Only the basic settings (position, size, etc.) are stored in  ~/.wbarconf .
If you want to add custom icons, you can either abuse the OnDemand feature by adding scripts and icons to  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand  or create *.desktop files at  /usr/local/share/applications . The latter would need to be added to the backup or contained in an extension.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline emninger

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 02:55:29 AM »
Thanks for your answer. Frankly, i only want to change the order of the apps in wbar (no new icons). With the *.desktop option i'm pretty familar ;)

In this context - i do not want to open a new thread on it:
I'm using TCL with fluxbox (which is fine for me and i'm really familiar with). I reflected about installing menumaker or, even better. xdgmenumaker (which is made by gapan on git) but now, i see, the TCL fluxbox automatically updates the program starter by including /usr/local/tce.fluxbox) and /usr/local/tce.fluxbox . Now, just out of curiousity, i'd like to understand HOW TCL builds that files (because as far as i see, they are continously rebuilt along with changing installed programs either onboot or ondemand).

Thanks!

Offline Misalf

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:55 AM »
In order to understand how those icons are created, you should study Core's scripts (/usr/bin/ondemand ,  /usr/bin/tce-*  and  /usr/local/bin/fluxbox_*).

You could use the boot code  noicons  to prevent WBar from being automatically populated with new icons and start WBar manually with a different config file.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:01 AM »
Hi emninger
There are also a bunch of  wbar*  files:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~/guilib/grabber/grabber-1.1$ ls /usr/bin/wbar*
/usr/bin/wbar     /usr/bin/wbar_mv_icon  /usr/bin/wbar_setup.sh   /usr/bin/wbarconf
/usr/bin/wbar.sh  /usr/bin/wbar_rm_icon  /usr/bin/wbar_update.sh
tc@box:~/guilib/grabber/grabber-1.1$

Offline emninger

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
In order to understand how those icons are created, you should study Core's scripts (/usr/bin/ondemand ,  /usr/bin/tce-*  and  /usr/local/bin/fluxbox_*).

You could use the boot code  noicons  to prevent WBar from being automatically populated with new icons and start WBar manually with a different config file.

Thanks for the pointer! I'll study the scripts you mention. In any case, i'm close to a somewhat definitive setup. There is still some tweaking needed as for the backup - it's way too big and slow (but i'm anxious to loose my settings ;) ).