Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Suspend (to ram)

<< < (2/2)

dentonlt:
Dependent upon your hardware, you can (or may have to) manually twiddle the graphics card both before and after the suspend. I used to have an HP that needed dpms off before suspend, or it would choke.

To simulate the text console from XVESA, use fgconsole to switch to a text term before you suspend. Same method can get you back afterward.

For writing to sys/power/state, you're using sudo tee, yes?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

cv007:
I'm running a stripped down version of core- no X, only 1 user- root. 6MB total size.

I was hoping to be able to secure erase on any pc, without having to remove the drive, or get at the power cable. Reading quite a bit over the  last week, I conclude its not going to happen as there is no way to get every pc to suspend/resume reliably.

Not a big loss, as I can still do it if needed- just have to take the cover off to get access to the power cable, or in the case of a laptop, the drive will have to be removed/reinserted (have not tried that, but it will work). Reading Intel's SSD Toolbox documentation, to do a secure erase with their software you have to unplug the power from the drive if the bios has frozen the drive, so it seems everyone else is in the same boat.

dentonlt:

--- Quote from: cv007 on October 15, 2015, 05:02:21 PM ---... I conclude its not going to happen as there is no way to get every pc to suspend/resume reliably.

--- End quote ---

Sad ... but true!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Sacha Telgenhof:
Is there a way that suspend to ram/disk and then resume works with TC? I am using 6.x but having a hard time how this can be done.
Many seem to use tools like pm-suspend, s2ram, etc. but there seems to extensions available for 6.x. Perhaps I am missing something.

Writing to /sys/power/state works however my screen doesn't come back to normal...

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Misalf:
I'm using

--- Code: ---sudo su "root" -c "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state"

--- End code ---
which works fine in 6.x but failed to resume in 5.x. I guess it's a video driver thing.
Also, I think "disk" needs a swap file or partition?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version