WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Display with Intel 82945G/GZ - dual monitors  (Read 2400 times)

Offline yogi_al

Display with Intel 82945G/GZ - dual monitors
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Iam having trouble getting my display going with a intel driver on a POS terminal that has a Intel 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller card.
Iam having TC4.0 version, Xorg-7.5 and also installed the graphics-3.0.21-tinycore extensions but the screen goes blank when I try loading an intel driver via the Xorg.conf file. I get a no KMS driver detected error.
The display works with a vesa driver. But am not sure why it doesnt work with an intel driver? I guess the intel driver would be required to help me with the dual monitor that I need to support as well. Any suggestions will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Display with Intel 82945G/GZ - dual monitors
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:36 PM »
Do you have the graphics-3.0.21-tinycore and xf86-video-all extensions loaded?

Do you see any errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Offline yogi_al

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
Hi Juanito,

Thanks for replying. The minute I add the xf86-video-all extension the screen goes blank and I have to reset the power button to get the POS working again.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »
Hi yogi_al
The minute I add the xf86-video-all extension the screen goes blank and I have to reset the power button to get the POS working again.
If you hit:
Code: [Select]
Ctrl-Alt-F1or:
Ctrl-Alt-Backspacedoes it get you to the console? If it does, then you can view the log file with:
less /var/log/Xorg.0.logMaybe some bogus module is being loaded that needs to be blacklisted. Check what's loaded with:
lsmod

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Don't load graphics extensions while in X, they can conflict if KMS gets loaded and Xvesa/etc is running.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline yogi_al

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Thanks a ton guys...  ;D ;D

Curaga I was loading the graphics extensions while in X so that was causing all the problems. I loaded it from the console and now the Intel driver gets loaded properly. Thanks again!!!

Offline yogi_al

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi,

Previously I have been trying to load TC4.0 on the POS and it worked fine. Now when loading TC6.0 and having installed xf86-video-intel the POS gives me a blank screen.  The POS terminal has a Intel 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller card. But I had to use modeset.i915=1 as kernel parameter to get the screen going. So my question is why do I need to do this since KMS is enabled by default?

My 2nd question is, when I attach a monitor to the POS terminal, and I load TC6.0 with the modeset.i915=1 I again get a blank screen on the POS terminal but my attached monitor shows me the TC desktop. On running xrandr it gives me LVDS1 as disconnected and VGA1 connected.
I then give the following commands to enable the POS screen
xrandr --addmode LVDSI 1024x768
xrandr --output LVDSI --mode 1024x768
xrandr --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1
But I dont get the correct resolution on the POS terminal. Without the attached monitor the POS terminal displays correctly with the resolution 1024x768. What needs to be done?

Again thanks a ton guys, for the help...