WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Connect to 4G/LTE networks with uqmi.tcz  (Read 4736 times)

Offline hiro

Connect to 4G/LTE networks with uqmi.tcz
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:42:33 PM »
I uploaded a new extension uqmi, the program has been created by Felix Fietkau for openwrt.
Compiling it is a nuisance, there is not INSTALL.txt or README, cause it's supposed to be only used by openwrt, but I finally found some instructions via google and since it's tinyness fits our community here it is.
This can be used to easily connect to the internet via modern 4G modems that use the QMI protocol, e.g. Vodafone K5005 alias HUAWEI E398.

Tutorial
1. install usb_modeswitch and uqmi extension (e.g. tce-load -wi usb-modeswitch uqmi)
2. stick modem with working sim card into USB port and wait a minute until you can see a /dev/cdc-wdm0 device
3. run sudo uqmi --device=/dev/cdc-wdm0 --keep-client-id wds --start-network my.apn --auth-type pap --username username --password password --autoconnect (replace my.apn, username, password and pap with your required apn data)
4. run udhcpc -i wwan0;

You should now have a usable IP, default route and DNS address. "--autoconnect" saves your apn so you can leave away step 3 from now on. I normally just stick in the dongle and run udhcpc -i wwan0.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:44:34 PM by hiro »