WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Backlight class isn't present  (Read 14597 times)

Offline Scampada

Re: Backlight class isn't present
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
Remastered init and loadable modules with the given script. Now testing.

There was said that Xvesa does not support KMS. I do not know exactly what is KMS (just roughly) but when I started Xvesa habitually, and then tried to switch to console there was a black screen. So, I must abandon Xvesa... pity... It's a good little server. Definitely Xorg isn't an option. So only Xfbdev remains in the list, but doesn't it work slower than Xvesa because of substituting the X, not being it?

Links browser works slow when in framebuffer and quick when in Xvesa.
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »
Xfbdev is slightly slower than Xvesa, but you can tune it with some options (see kernel vesafb docs). Should be faster than links in a framebuffer due to being X - the drawing routines are more optimized.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:47 AM »
This makes little sense for me, but I occasionally started Xvesa with Xfbdev running and it looked like Xvesa started right INSIDE the Xfbdev session or something. Due to that I was able to switch to console from Xvesa session without getting blackscreen. When I terminated Xvesa with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace from inside of that it appeared that Xfbdevsession was terminated too.

Timeline:

1. Loaded Xfbdev and Xvesa extensions.
2. Started Xfbdev. There was a gray patterned screen.
3. Switched to console and started the script which purpose is to start Xvesa and then to start dosbox in it (my goal was to start dosbox but I got confused with commands).
4. Suddenly found myself in a Xvesa session having background picture and a dosbox window region.
5. Tried to switch to console and succeeded. Switched back to Xvesa.
6. Tried to switch to Xfbdev session with Alt-arrows and Fn's. It looked like there is no Xfbdev session just Xvesa one, so I came to decision that Xvesa is running right inside the Xfbdev.
7. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and found myself in that very tty where the Xfbdev was initiated to start (not in that where I started the Xvesa-dosbox script).

It's up to me to explore how many memory is taken when both Xfbdev and Xvesa are running and how does it affect performance. If those values are low, this would be a very good strategy for me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:23:29 AM by Scampada »
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »
My TC after boot: ~32 Mb RAM used.
With Xvesa running without Xfbdev (default): 83.
With Xfbdev and Xvesa running altogether: ~85.

Looks nice. I take it. :)

Haven't seen yet if the speed is slower than usual, but I doubt it. At least this doesn't seem to be remarkable.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »
Hm,I'm not sure. Maybe I was confused with Xfbdev and no Xvesa is running, when its script is initiated. But all its configs are taken.