WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wifi and dCore...  (Read 3088 times)

Offline sbaguz

wifi and dCore...
« on: March 26, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »
Hi all,

just a question.
I'm really excited about dCore and I would like to give it a try. I have already downloaded all the needed files for jessie, but I see in the sce list that there is no wifi package as there is for wheezy. So my question is: the wifi package has been merged with one of the existing packages or I will not be able to use the simple connecting script I know from standard Tiny Core Plus?

Thanks in advance

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: wifi and dCore...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:05:39 AM »
Hi sbaguz,
I will add a wifi.sce package for the other dCore ports.  I did not realize it was missing.  I will aim for that today, but definitely by the weekend.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:50 PM »
Wifi is part of the wireless.sce mega extension.  So the wifi.sce in the dCore-wheezy area is deprecated and will be removed.

Just load the wireless.sce and you will have the wifi tool.

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:43 AM »
Thanks.
Now I think I'm ready to test dCore.

;)

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Wow!!!  :o
Everything has been easier than expected: I love dCore!!!  :-*
Even if I still have some doubts/feature requests (i.e: how to uninstall a package? how to update a package?), I think/hope one day dCore will be the default Tiny Core distro: the magic of Tiny Core + the Debian package repositories=the best possible distro!

But trying to connect (with usual cliorx sudo wifi.sh) gave me an unexpected problem: I got an error saying

Code: [Select]
locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
and I wasn't able to connect. But I did nothing to locale, I left default settings.
I simply installed fluxbox, aterm, geany, midnight commander, p7zipfull, feh, mplayer (onboot) and links, xpdf (ondemand).

Can you help me?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Ok, I will look into it tonight.

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
I think I found were the problem was...
I restarted dCore with a base option, then I loaded one-by-one my sce packages.
The problem arose with Links2.
Then I realized that I did not directly change locale, but in Links2 settings I chose my language (Italian): in some way this messed up the terminal configuration, breaking wifi script.

I hope this can help.

;)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »
Ok, I don't use locales or other languages so would be hard for me to test.  Was it the same terminal session as links was run in that saw the issue?

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:20 AM »
Not only that one: from that moment on, even rebooting, I haven't been able to use wifi script anymore in any terminal session...
To solve this issue I basically had to make a new install and to avoid changing language in Links2.
I suppose it would have been the same simply deleting .links folder in my home/tc.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »
Ok.  It seems to be how the programs are interacting and not something I can control from my end.  Probably the same behavior between links and wifi is seen in Core.