WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wireless auditing minimalist  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Wireless auditing minimalist
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »
If you look at the start-up scripts of the desktop manager extensions, you'll see that they echo the name of the binary to /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

Offline wifixer

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »
oh perfect, thanks @Juanito :)
Now I have a dCore with lxde desktop environment with all wireless support plus Wireshark 1.12.
Bit-by-bit Im also learning, thanks for your patience.

But I see that is not what my old laptop can digest: lxde is far from light, is sucks 500Mb all together, when I run Wireshark it keeps begging for mercy! :)

Looks like I have to give up on lxde.
But I might keep openbox, only 18Mbytes, right?
Anyway still I need a minimal file manager, I don't know how much is smart to port PCManFM out of lxde alone in-the-dark Openbox, isn't it?
Any better file manager to suggest?

Oh, btw, Wireshark starts with enormous font, the window takes all the monitor, but still half of contents are out of sight... do you know how to push Wireshark to a much smaller fonts resolution?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:42:57 AM by wifixer »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 05:43:33 AM »
..sucks 500Mb all together, when I run Wireshark it keeps begging for mercy! :)

Looks like I have to give up on lxde.
But I might keep openbox, only 18Mbytes, right?
This, I suspect, is the difference between using dcore (large choice of packages, but lots of dependencies) and core (smaller choice of packages, but less dependencies).

Oh, btw, Wireshark starts with enormous font, the window takes all the monitor, but still half of contents are out of sight... do you know how to push Wireshark to a much smaller fonts resolution?

You'd need to google how to change the font size with gtk2/3 or, you could check in Xorg.0.log that the correct dpi for your screen is being used and, if not, correct it.

Offline wifixer

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:17 AM »
Great hint @Juanito :)
ok, switching to core and try again.
I googled around, everybody says that lxde is the lightest windows/desktop manager, but I'm starting having serious doubts after this dCore experience.
Care to suggest the lightest possible windows/desktop manager for Core, you have in your repos (without wbar...)?
And, as for a light file manager?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »
And, as for a light file manager?

mc
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
WHich LXDE version are we taling about, Qt or Gtk?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
For light wm you could look at flwm, jwm and fluxbox, though I'm not sure how much you could do with flwm without wbar.

For a light fm, you could look at emelfm (gtk1 version)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:18:27 AM by Juanito »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
Hi wifixer
the window takes all the monitor, but still half of contents are out of sight...
If an applications window is larger than the screen, hit  CTRL-M  a couple of times.

Offline wifixer

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
@bmarkus, sorry I don't know, I just run "sce-import -b lxde" from inside dCore :)

@Juanito, allright, then will try jwm and fluxbox :) Can I still keep openbox under?

@Rich, CTRL-M, got it. Does it work also under openbox, jwm and fluxbox?

Offline wifixer

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
alright, I'm writing to you now from inside Firefox 21 inside Core :)
What I did: I noticed CorePlus had already  jwm and fluxbox, so I stripped out of the onboot file flwm& wbar, so they don't get loaded, and added option desktop= jwm / fluxbox at boot.
Now Imk under fluxbox.
About Apps, it is not possible to dl Wireshark from ver 4...  :( but I managed to dl everything else I needed.

Unfortunately, my mouse messing up is back, maybe you had similar issue and can help me fix that? any app to download to better configure the mouse ops?
It really looks like every time I touch on the mouse pad, a double click is sent, no matter, and while I move the pointer still some double clicks are released on the way, programs are run, windows get closed/open, links get pressed into firefox, and so on... very difficult to work in those conditions.
I never had such problem, even inside dCore didnt have this issue, so it is not a problem of my pad I guess.

Alsowanted to ask, is it possible to set jwm / fluxbox to have a static "Start" like button on the task bar, instead of this "nomad" one?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:45:04 AM by wifixer »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
About Apps, it is not possible to dl Wireshark from ver 4...
you would have to download it manually using wget or navigate to the 4.x repo with a browser

Unfortunately, my mouse messing up is back, maybe you had similar issue and can help me fix that? any app to download to better configure the mouse ops?
Did you see the comments about this a couple of posts earlier in this thread?