WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Evince Running TC 6.0 rc 1.  (Read 3762 times)

Offline meo

Evince Running TC 6.0 rc 1.
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:55:54 AM »
Hi guys!

Seems that a dep is missing:

tc@box:~$ evince
evince: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
tc@box:~$

Have tried other programs to open PDF files but none has started correctly. Evince2 for example. Any tip about a program that can open PDF files would be greatly appreciated.

Have fun polishing the TC 6.0,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Evince Running TC 6.0 rc 1.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 04:01:55 AM »
the corepure64 version of evince works - I guess you're speaking of the standard x86 version?

Edit: I see the update to libgcrypt broke evince - I'll add it to the "to do" list
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:12:34 AM by Juanito »

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:14:53 AM »
Hi Juanito!

Quite right, I'm using the standard x86 version and right now I'm on the stable 5.4 release witch is my goto when the newer cuts have issues. Thanks for noting the evince issue!

Keep up the good work with TC,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:14:24 AM »
at-spi2-core, gtk3, librsvg, at-spi2-atk, gtk3, gdk-pixbuf2, evince and libsecret extensions recompiled for tc-6.x and posted.

evince now works.

Edit: evince2 also recompiled and posted
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:37:17 AM by Juanito »

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi Juanito!

Thanks a lot! I store a lot of information as PDF files so this is a great help. Thanks again!  :)

Have fun with TC,
meo

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
Evince 3.10.3 installed without issue on tc-6.

Unfortunately still experiencing the same crashing problem reported on this forum ~1 year ago. Evince crashes/closes without warning when running Xvesa and attempting to maximize an evince document (FLTK, pressing ctrl-alt-m) or if resizing it greater than ~3/4 screen width. Resizing up/down is not a problem. Maximizing evince without a document loaded is also not a problem, but not very useful  ;)

Evince is, therefore, not very functional when using a small screen netbook. May need to get used to Firefox's built-in pdf, unless someone can suggest another alternative. Read about a hack script to install Foxit but i'm new to TC and not sure i want to try this at present. Thanks.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »
Try using Xfbdev  instead of Xvesa.

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do some reading on Xfbdev. If i remember correct i just need to download/install Xfbdev, change onboot.list and .xsession from Xvesa to Xfbdev. Anyway thanks for that...

Just discovered a work-around for Xvesa and Evince that is actually quite useful and may help others. On my Xvesa tc-6 netbook, Evince always opens in a smallish window with default zoom set to fit width. Changing width to the 175% dropdown or 185% manually then allows the Evince document to be maximized (FLTK, ctrl-alt-m) without crashing. Now i can finish reading Into the Core.pdf   :)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »
Nice workaround, thanks for the tip  ;D

You could try Xorg also (no need to edit .xsession however)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:20 AM »
I usually use epdfview, but it's not in the 6.x repo right now.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitram

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
Thanks. Trying to avoid Xfbdev and Xorg on my netbook - looks like i won't need it. I have an old 800 MHz desktop that will likely require one of these, however, to get a better screen resolution.

qpdfview is also very nice.

Just a couple more pdf tips:

- Regarding the Xvesa/Evince maximize tip above, once you've identified the maximum zoom level that will allow a document to maximize without crashing, then on Evince select the gear icon (top right corner) and select 'save current settings as default' (ctrl-t). New documents will still open in a small window but you can simply maximize the window in FLTK (ctrl-alt-m) without having to play around with the zoom levels again. I'm finding Evince very functional now on Xvesa - no additional pdf reader required.

- Firefox's built-in pdf reader actually functions quite well. Me thought it had laggy performance on earlier versions but with tc-6's firefox-official (Firefox 33), pdf viewing performance is very good. So for someone that uses Firefox, no other pdf reader is really required. Locally stored .pdf documents can also easily be opened in Firefox via File > Open File and selecting the .pdf document of your choice.

Offline nitram

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »
Adding Evince to OnBoot creates numerous warning messages during boot sequence, similar to:
warning: schema gnome.org. (don't recall the rest of the message).

Unfortunately syslog did not report these warnings in var/log/messages and dmesg output also failed to show the warnings. Should i also be reporting this as a possible bug of TC-6 core: logs not displaying all messages/warnings.

Evince otherwise runs okay. Let me know if you need additional information.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
I believe the warnings are harmless - you can see the warnings if you load evince after boot and then start it from a terminal window.

Basically there seem to be a bunch of warnings due to various elements of gtk2/gtk3 carrying depreciated code and evince using or trying to use that depreciated code.

Offline nitram

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
Okay, thanks Juanito.