WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: rPi 2 announced, quad core A7, 1GB RAM  (Read 9963 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
rPi 2 announced, quad core A7, 1GB RAM
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:26:27 AM »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: rPi 2 announced, quad core A7, 1GB RAM
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:03 AM »
Finally they did it. Still it is behind the competition. Lower CPU frequency, lower specs CPU, lack of SATA. There are better choices. On the other hand ther is very large user base, a community with great projects. So I like it, it is not about performance only.

Tried to order one. Both element14 and RS rejects to deliver RPi to Hungary and redirects to local distributors. They expect availability this week. I preordered it :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Franxoois

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 02:29:13 AM »
Great news !

Offline meo

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »
Hi guys!

That's what I call an upgrade!!! Have tried different ways to get my hands on one but no luck yet. I won't give up though.  It seems to have what I almost value most; stability! At least that's what is promised on the Rasberry.org site, and I quote: "Dom and Jonathan have spent thousands of hours working on the firmware and board support to make Raspberry Pi the most stable single board computer in the world." Sounds really promising.

Regards,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:27:26 AM »
Béla

Offline KG-TinyCore

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
Amazing they kept this under wraps, but a pleasant morning surprise for sure. Just ordered one via Newark: http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi-accessories  :)

Offline beerstein

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
hi - I ordered one from the german GMBH. The online confirmation said: "two working days"
Now I am looking for the new modified raspian image.

bmarkus! - it is a lot of work to modify piCore 6.0 so it can be used with new model?
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
bmarkus! - it is a lot of work to modify piCore 6.0 so it can be used with new model?

Good question. They say it is compatible with old boards. If it is true, current image must work.

Hope I can have a board tomorrow. We will see.
Béla

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »

Good question. They say it is compatible with old boards. If it is true, current image must work.

Hope I can have a board tomorrow. We will see.

Looking at Github, They have an updated bootloader and have bumped the kernel to 3.18.5.    There are 2 kernels in the get now.   kernel.img and kernel7.img.

My suspicion is that piCore 6.0 will work, but will need an upgrade to get the full benefit.

It would have been nice to know this was coming before I got my odroid-c1.   While the specs are off a bit, the development and support from rpi.org is much more than others.   Oh well, time to order a Pi-2

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
What is new in the latest 3.18.5+ kernel is Device Tree; boot loader now is using DT. I guess we can boot current image on the new hardware, but we must change kernel to 3.18.y to enjoy full benefits.
Béla

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »
What is new in the latest 3.18.5+ kernel is Device Tree; boot loader now is using DT. I guess we can boot current image on the new hardware, but we must change kernel to 3.18.y to enjoy full benefits.

I'm sure the bootloader will properly detect the boards.   It will be interesting from a comparability standpoint when/how to move from arm6 to arm7 binaries.   

I have my board ordered, so I'll be able to help out on the development / testing.

Offline meo

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »
Hi guys!

Have been fooling around with the latest cut of Raspbian today on a RPi B (not the B+) and it works really well. It seems to me that it's a bit faster than the previous cut of Raspbian. Just an eyeball, non scientific, observation when compiling the latest sources of the GO language. Might not be true but it surely seemed faster. Also waiting for my prepaid RPi 2 to arrive. Will be very interesting to see how it compares to the previous ones.

Regards,
meo

PS  The latest Raspbian 2015-01-31 at least works on older RPi's, that's for sure.  DS
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline meo

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »
Just found something interesting on the net about RPi 2. Here is the link:

http://makezine.com/2015/02/02/raspberry-pi-2-first-look/

Offline StanIv

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
What? Moor's law still in action?! :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
Interesting announcement:

Raspberry Pi 2 is available to buy today. Remember you'll need an updated NOOBS or Raspbian image including an ARMv7 kernel and modules from our downloads page. At launch, we are using the same ARMv6 Raspbian userland on both Raspberry Pi 1 and 2; over the next few months we will investigate whether we can obtain higher performance from regular ARMv7 Debian, or whether we can selectively replace a small number of libraries to get the best of both worlds. Now that we're using an ARMv7 core, we can also run Ubuntu.

So they are doing the same, starting to use the armv6 repo and update packages slowly to armv7
Béla