WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Still no audio  (Read 9164 times)

Offline wysiwyg

Still no audio
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
Good evening everyone!  This post is related to two other posts I have made in the past:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17287.msg103684.html#msg103684
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17288.msg103685.html#msg103685

The first one goes on to talk about how I had purchased some new equipment that apparently wasn't going to work until an updated kernel could be installed (referenced in a reply to my second post above).  Basically curaga mentioned that in order for the hardware (audio & video feeding through the HDMI connector) to work, the kernel had to be updated to at least 3.10.  Well a new version of TC has been released (6.x) and it uses the 3.16 kernel!  I updated the corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 files then booted up and checked alsamixer.  Unfortunately the same results appear as originally described...

What I did notice was a file called modules64.gz in the repo.  Do I perhaps need to utilize some files in that file in order for the audio hardware to be recognized with alsamixer?

I haven't tried to use the correct X11 driver, but I'll report back what I find when I do.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline wysiwyg

Re: Still no audio
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:09 PM »
This is a follow-up regarding the video driver.  I ended up upgrading the graphics-3.16 file and removed the xf86-video-vesa files to ensure the system would be using the xf86-video-ati, but I get a "failed to waitforX" boot message and placed at the cli.  Looking the X log, it shows loading all the proper drivers, but obviously fails to load the vesa one of course.  There are also a couple of complaints about a missing /dev/fb0 file, but otherwise doesn't show any errors.  Thoughts on how I can make this use the ati drivers?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
Does your graphics hardware require firmware to be loaded?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »
Please also make sure you have the correct alsa extensions for the new kernel instead of the 5.x (or 4.x) ones. firmware-radeon is needed for ATI graphics (and consequently sound through it).

Please post your dmesg and Xorg.0.log to pastebin if things still don't work.

You can easily update extensions using Apps: first update the dep files, check for updates, and finally "fetch missing".
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »
Good morning everyone!

@Juanito yes, there was an error message at the startup about a missing radeon file, but per curaga's advice on loading the firmware-radeon file, that message has been resolved.

@curaga looking through the X log now that I've loaded the firmware file, I can see a whole bunch of RADEON lines so I'm assuming that X is working with the ATI driver instead of the vesa one.  However, for lines that appear to be loading anything for audio, I see "No input driver specified, ignoring this device.  This device may have been added with another device file."  I can pastebin the logs if you desire.  I also made sure I was loading the alsa-modules-3.16.6-tinycore64 file so I would assume this would bring in the latest alsa drivers.

I also wanted to perform the steps you mentioned using the 'Apps' software, but I don't see anywhere in there to update the dep files.  I can only see an option for checking for updates and nothing about "Fetch Missing".  I ended up updating all the files that were found, but now the system takes an extremely long time to get into X with only parts of the TC GUI loading (e.g. still has the default X11 X shaped cursor and no wbar).  I'm just going to start all over with a fresh install...

Dave

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
Ok, so I created a new bootable flash drive with all x86_64 of 6.x TC.  The problem now is that when I boot, it simply goes to the CLI while (apparently) ignoring to load all the files specified in the onboot.txt file to load the basic GUI.  The steps I took to create the boot media:

1. downloaded and installed curepure64-vmlinuz and curepure64.gz to the boot media
2. wget each cde/optional file for the x86_64 port that's in the TinyCore-Current.iso
3. copied the fresh copy2fs.lst, onboot.lst, and xbase.lst files onto the boot media
4. booted the media

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »
Did you forget the waitusb=5 boot option?
Show the output of 'showbootcodes'.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Hi wysiwyg
2. wget each cde/optional file for the x86_64 port that's in the TinyCore-Current.iso
Did you place the files in  tce/optional  or  cde/optional?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Note also that TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso contains the Xfbdev extension and not the Xorg-7.7 extension

As @Rich mentions, if you create a bootable flash drive, the extensions need to go in tce/optional - cde/optional is only for cd/dvd

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 05:53:42 AM »
Good morning everyone!  Here's the responses to the posts from above...

@gerald_clark the output to showbootcodes is:
quiet waitusb=5 tce=LABEL=FIRMWARE/xinix64 home=LABEL=DATA swapfile=sda3 settime

@Rich the directory is actually 'xinix64/optional' and I've confirmed this via 'mount' and the location pointed to by '/etc/sysconfig/tcedir'

@Juanito looking at the files in the optional directory, it appears that neither of those files is listed.  Is Xfbdev required if the media is booting the Xvesa extension?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
Are we speaking of:

TinyCore*iso: uses Xvesa
TinyCorePure64*iso: uses Xfbdev (no 64-bit version of Xvesa)

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »
After looking at my tce directory, you are correct Juanito.  I did wget the files for the x86_64 from the 32-bit TC iso.  I have deleted all those files and copied the correct ones from the 64-bit TC iso (verifying the Xfbdev files).  However, the system still will not boot into the GUI and gives the message "failed in waitforX".  There is no X log that's being generated and it still looks like none of the extensions specified in the onboot.lst file (verified via a 'mount' call).  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
Just as additional information, if I do something like "tce-load -i wbar" I get an 'already installed' message.  Shouldn't these extensions also show up when calling the 'mount' command?

Dave

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
Sounds like you have the copy2fs.flg file set.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
Yes gerald_clark I do have that file with contents in it.  I just copied all the default files out of the cde directory into the corresponding boot media directory.  Do I need to clear its contents or delete it entirely?

Thanks,
Dave