WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xorg-server dependency in gtk2, gtk1-dev, and cairo-dev for Corepure64 5.x/6.x ?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline maluvia

There is an implicit dependence on xorg-server in gtk1-dev, gtk2, gtk2-dev, and cairo-dev tczs that has appeared in the 64-bit versions of these applications - in both the 5.x and 6.x repositories.
In the case of gtk2 it is through a dependence on Xorg-7.7. It occurs for gtk2-dev, and cairo-dev(5.x) from a dependence on the 64-bit version of Xorg-7.7-dev, and for cairo-dev(6.x) through a dependence on Xorg-7.7-3d-dev (which requires Xorg-7.7-dev).

The 32-bit versions of these applications have no such dependence on xorg-server.
Also, the 32-bit version of Xorg-7.7-dev has no dependence on xorg-server.

I am wondering why xorg-server is now an (implicit) dependency for the Corepure64 versions of these programs, when it is not in the 32-bit repositories?
I <3 Tiny Core

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
I believe that the gtk2 dep should be Xorg-7.7-lib or, perhaps better, the actual X libs it requires.

If Xorg-7.7 is considered a package, then it should include xorg-server. Since there is no Xorg-7.7-lib-dev, the the gtk1/2/3-dev extensions need Xorg-7.7-dev, which includes the xorg-server-dev dep.

In the x86 repo, Xorg-7.7 has xorg-server as a dep, so logically Xorg-7.7-dev should have xorg-server-dev as a dep.

Offline maluvia

Yes, I think the absence of an Xorg-7.7-lib-dev package is the problem.
I have submitted an Xorg-7.7-lib-dev package to remedy this situation.  It contains the dev versions of Xorg-7.7-lib, plus xbitmaps, util-macros, xorg-proto and xtrans, which exist in the 32-bit versions of Xorg-dev.  This should provide a sufficient build environment for applications requiring Xorg libraries, but not Xorg itself.

As to the dependencies for gtk2, these could be modified to be: atk, pango, gdk-pixbuf2, shared-mime-info, libXcursor, libXcomposite, libXinerama, libXi, and libXrandr.
gtk2-dev works for me with gtk2 plus the dev versions of those deps.

cairo-dev is working for me with cairo, glib2-dev, fontconfig-dev, pixman-dev, lipng-dev, libEGL-dev, libGESv2-dev, and Xorg-7.7-lib-dev (as described above)

gtk1-dev works with gtk1, glib1-dev, and Xorg-7.7-lib-dev (as described).
I <3 Tiny Core

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
I'm not so sure I see the point of creating an Xorg-libs-dev extension, given that *dev packages are by their nature temporary, it would mean adjusting the deps of many, many *dev extensions and there is already an Xorg-7.7-dev extension?

Offline maluvia

I guess what I'm not understanding is the change in Xorg-7.7-dev as it exists in the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version.  Xorg-7.7 is a package for 32-bit Tiny Core as well, yet 32-bit Xorg-7.7-dev does not have xorg-server-dev as a dependency, or the other dependencies that were added to the 64-bit version.
I just didn't understand what is different about Corepure64 that led to adding those additional dependencies to Xorg-7.7-dev as it exists in the 32-bit version.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:18:04 AM by maluvia »
I <3 Tiny Core

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
There are a few differences in that the libX* extensions have been factored out more in corepure64 as compared to x86, which would probably explain some, if not all of the additional libX*-dev extensions.

For example libXau in x86, but libXau and libXau-dev in x86_64

xorg-server is required for Xorg-7.7 to work, but whether xorg-server-dev is required as part of Xorg-7.7-dev is perhaps a matter of opinion...

Offline maluvia

I see.  I do think Xorg-7.7 should not be a run-time dependancy for anything that does not actually require it, but as you pointed out, the dev environment is temporary, so that really doesn't matter.  As you say, it just comes down to personal preference.
I aim for the most minimal desktop possible for performance reasons, and for control, and like to keep things simple, transparent, and hackable - which is why I love Tiny Core :-)
Thanks to everyone here for the fantastic work that has been done developing Tiny Core, and especially the Corepure64 project.
I <3 Tiny Core

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
gtk2 dep adjusted from Xorg-7.7 to Xorg-7.7-lib - thanks for highlighting this.