WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: It's about time to fix the ISO to USB booting issue, it's holding TC back.  (Read 8522 times)

Offline hal9king

I'm a newbie to TinyCore but I have been very impressed with what can be done with it.

The primary reason I'm using TC is for a project that will be USB based so the various users will have the same OS and programs available.
One of the features needed was to have the ability to 'clone' a running system and end up with a fully functional result that can be handed on.

Within a few days I was able to accomplish this .. next to impossible on nearly any other Linux -- or even OS.

However, I must say I am NOT a fan of 'ezremaster' -- not easy to clone a system with this -- hence the USB exchange.

Adding a bit here,  I really somewhat confused on this 'issue' .  What I am saying is that is very easy to to install a copy of TC from a USB to another USB --  if you have another running Linux system.  I'm actually using TC on a USB to clone itself onto another USB (or even hard drive).   No problem.

In windows or other foreign OS the issue becomes formatting the USB to say ext2 -- this needs special software or a running Linux.
This is what the initial TC-CD provides.    Frankly I don't see why a simple copy of the base TC onto a flash drive (even DOS) couldn't be made to run -- assuming there is a way to make it bootable -- I don't know don't have any windows stuff to test with -- is some like extlinux available under windows??

Off course an isohybrid TC would solve the issue cleanly.

Haven't used that OS much since 1995 when I switched to Linux (Slackware using a 'pile of floppies). 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:25:22 PM by hal9king »
In science, we know ... what we don't know.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
TC is isohybrid.

Offline hal9king

good to know thanks.
In science, we know ... what we don't know.

Offline yiyus

In windows or other foreign OS the issue becomes formatting the USB to say ext2 -- this needs special software or a running Linux.
This is what the initial TC-CD provides.    Frankly I don't see why a simple copy of the base TC onto a flash drive (even DOS) couldn't be made to run -- assuming there is a way to make it bootable -- I don't know don't have any windows stuff to test with -- is some like extlinux available under windows??

What I plan to do is to distribute my tc system as a zip file to be extracted in a (fat formatted) usb drive. This zip file will include syslinux binaries for windows and linux, as well as install.sh and install.bat scripts. This is working quite well in the few tests I have done, but it is still a work in progress, I shared it in case it can give you some idea.