WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Opinions needed putting together a TC based PXE server  (Read 5093 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: Opinions needed putting together a TC based PXE server
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
Thanks to all who have chimed in!

Issue #1 covered (config file not being read on load)

Issue #2 covered (DHCP request not being accepted by client) -- TC 4.7.7 (latest 4.x release) contains dnsmasq v2.55; current version is 2.7x.  A bug existed once upon a time where some NICs had a problem with one-way broadcasting (where DHCPOFFER would not be received) and a patch was thrown in v2.53 adding the command option of dhcp-broadcast which seems to have corrected the problem based on the version of the TCZ.  I'll build a new TCZ once time permits and the three services have been otherwise mastered.  The main differences between v2.55 and the majority of blogs describing the "ease of setting up dnsmasq as DHCPd" yet on TC are:

dhcp-broadcast (solves failed DHCPOFFER from server to client)
dhcp-generate-names (solves Option-12 problem where client refuses offer if hostname is not returned)
Permissions: the lease file defaults into a non-existent directory by default and needs to be root.staff/writable if defined.

Note: I know TC4 is "old news" and for the life of me I can't recall why we chose 4.x as opposed to 5.x (I do remember it was severe, I just don't have my project notes handy at the moment) so this information may also be old news.  I do truly appreciate those who have chimed in!

Servers: This profile (TC+dnsmasq+etc) is being run through many different machines from VIA C3, Atom 330, down to Cisco Content Servers, each one having their own unique quirks when running TC in the fashion it's being done.  (Boot drive is a small IDE-like flash drive for the core OS and one of many different types of tce= and home/opt= storage units) so this has been an adventure none the less!  Thank you all for keeping the "flaming" to a minimum :)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
Issue #3 complete.

Scenario:  VIA C3 800A board with T-100 onboard NIC and T-1000 (RealTek 8169) PCI card.

In dnsmasq, if only ETH1 is listed, BOOTP will fail (ie: client TFTP times out.)
If ETH0 is listed (interface=eth0) things work perfectly from DNS to DHCP to TFTP.
(This defeats the idea of having the GBe NIC installed, though.)

To accomplish the goal, the following had to be configured:

interface=eth1 <-- ETH1 being listed first TENDS to take priority in dhcp options when using 0.0.0.0 wildcard
interface=eth0 <-- without ETH0 specifically listed, ETH1 works only in DNS and DHCP

Again, I know this is all "old news" based on the version I'm using, but it may prove useful for someone out there.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline tinypoodle

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
Tiny: Good call (ifRename) - I hadn't considered a take-over for other factors, but if the current direction shows any instability, it'll be next in line for testing.
(I still have to get past the remaining services before I can tweak.)

Thanks again!