WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What type of install?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Wolfgange

What type of install?
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
I have a [ Commercial link deleted ]  (256MB RAM + 1.2GHz Pentium III processor). I am trying to get any type of linux to work (Since XP almost kills the computer), as long as it has a GUI. I've tried other OS's except I've had problems with most of them. The live Tiny Core Linux worked with the GUI.

So, I basically want Tiny Core installed completely onto the Hard Drive (I don't care if it loads into RAM from the HDD) and I want to be able to save programs (If I need to, I can save my data to a USB, but I'd prefer that to be saved, as well). Is there a type of install that will do this? If so, how do I install it using that mode?

I was looking at the install page and I was not fully sure, but would I simply want to follow the same settings they have, but without enabling a frugal install?

Any help is appreciated  :).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:59:02 PM by gerald_clark »

Offline coreplayer2

Re: What type of install?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
You actually want the frugal install.   use the installer from coreplus to complete a frugal install for you.  It is advised to read the core book found from this link http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html particularly read up on persistance.

Using this install method you can specify the location of your programs (eg: tce=sda1 and your personal data files home=sda1 )
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:55:52 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Wolfgange

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
OK. So when I enter the extensions location, in the install, I should not put my USB device? I should put my hard drive partition?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
yes

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
I think I misunderstood your question so perhaps "yes" does not exactly answer your question.

Your HDD is the " Target " and assuming coreplus is being installed from a USB the the USB is the Source or as the install app asks " From "
Is that clearer?

See chapter 2  from the book
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
Path to core is from the installing media (USB/cd)

path to " Extension Installation "  is from your install media (USB/cd) when asked " Install Extensions from this TCE/CDE Directory