WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Webkit notes  (Read 16927 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Webkit notes
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 06:30:51 AM »
recompiled webkitfltk with -DNDEBUG and the fifth extension size dropped from 13.7mb to 8.5mb  :)

..could be dropped a little more by symlinking the icons?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:37:04 AM by Juanito »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »
I have to try this :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that I couldn't resize the fifth window from the corner, only from the bottom or side.

Probably not something in the app, as in JWM I can resize from corners too.

..could be dropped a little more by symlinking the icons?

Squashfs detects identical files, so a symlink wouldn't save anything.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 07:29:29 AM »
fifth posted in tc-6.x x86 repo

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Used only for a short time, but looks ok. Just one question. What is about flash support?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
Explicitly not supported.

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
Explicitly not supported.
^^
Yes, the way forward is open standards!

However, are there some serious efforts in the direction of an IDE like Adobe has for flash, to create HTML5 animations, and working with js?

That you have successfully ported Webkit to FLTK is just amazing!
It's the obvious way forward for FLTK browsing. And I've wanted Dillo improved to at least get the site formatting better implemented.
But to have Webkit, we have a standard, complete implementation of HTML5 and js. Which is just magnificent!

To use FLTK Webkit for a full-time browser is something I want to do. But the only browser I've considered replacing with Firefox is Midori. But it constantly crashes.
Midori has a sidebar for plugins, like script-addons plugin (js addons), and style-addons plugin (css addons).
And then has a C API for writing plugins.
Just with these plugins, and the plugins for ad-blocking and script-blocking, I could start using Midori -- if it didn't always crash, that is.
It comes by default with these excellent plugins, so it's easy to get set up.

From the DESIGN file of Fifth:
No native video support. Every embedded player generally sucks. Instead,
we will offer two buttons in place of HTML5 video elements: download
(as $GOD intended) and stream (ie, launch in your favorite player such
as mplayer).
I really like that, but can't we have mplayer in slave mode for an "embedded" player?

And if there are plugins, we could have a simple plugin for extracting the video from a flash file for streaming/downloading.
Then we could have it act just like any browser, by embedding mplayer (of course just by executing the binary).

I like all of the http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/features.html

I will download the latest TC to get Fifth and test it soon (as compiling it would take too long).
But from the screenshots, I have one thing I would like added: to have downloads in a drop-down window, instead of a whole tab. But perhaps there already is such a thing..?

And of course for speeding up community contributions, and involvement, plugins would be great.
No need for an extensive API, just having an icon added for a plugin, and a drop-down window.

Wait... if you want to access FLTK Webkit from a plugin, you'd need to have it dynamically linked...

Well, FLTK Webkit is great, and I will be able to implement it in my GUI integration tool (written in FLTK), so plugins for the web can be written in my own plugin API.
So you would have a complete GUI environment, with web browsing integrated.
But I'm not sure about it, as I've always planned to have just an "information browser", with link containers/menus presented as drop-down windows.
To have text presented in 60-80 characters wide, for easy reading by pretty much just placing your eyes in the middle of the text, and scrolling.

Anyways, great work!
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »
Fifth has native content blocking (which works for any URL, so CSS, ads, images, JS, whatever). Compiled plugins would be a lot of work for little gain (yes, it would need extensive API), any such functionality can be built in for the same amount of work from the plugin author.

Download feature request noted.

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Fifth has native content blocking (which works for any URL, so CSS, ads, images, JS, whatever). Compiled plugins would be a lot of work for little gain (yes, it would need extensive API), any such functionality can be built in for the same amount of work from the plugin author.

Download feature request noted.
Excellent!
I already understood that there must be some blocking and overriding of scripts and CSS, but I didn't see any screenshots of the feature (so that would be nice).

The downloads drop-down, is from the design principle of New Room... something... where you walk into a room and forget why you were there (context-dependent memories is something we all have to deal with).
You can still have the drop-down window as big as you want.

But plugins is one of the reasons I kind of love Midori, even when it's unusable (yes, I have the latest version, through Arch Linux).
Plugins brings the ultimate configurability to technical users. Even if you aren't a very good programmer, you can still easily mod existing plugins (a good way to learn programming, as well).

But of course, you have clearly stated that it's your browser, first of all ^^

I'm happy enough to have Webkit for FLTK.
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
..not sure whether it's webkit, fifth or fltk, but when using fifth to download a file to the default location - /tmp/filename - the file name is kept.

When navigating to a location other than /tmp, the filename is lost and the user is obliged to enter it again.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »
That's FLTK's file chooser, same thing in all FLTK apps. If you use some other location more often than /tmp, the default can be changed in the advanced settings.

Offline kalu

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 01:58:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to set up midori in TC v5.4, but on Juanito's suggestion I've been looking at fifth on TC v6.0 RC1 too. (It seems that people at my office are interested too) It is pretty lightweight, but I haven't figured out how to make fifth fullscreen, which we really need. And also when we entered into the advance configuration, we can't save the changes we've made. After restarting fifth, we don't see any changes and everything in the advance configuration goes back to default settings.

But still our main question is: is fullscreen (like F11 on other firefox) possible?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »
Fullscreen is not implemented yet. As mentioned in the other thread, it would be faster to build a new app using webkitfltk than to adapt a browser, as for kiosk usage you don't need tabs/history/etc etc. You would create a fullscreen window, add a web widget, point it to your URL.

edit: Thanks for the bug report, it was one that didn't show in debug builds, only in release, which explains why it wasn't seen before. Fixed in git.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:44:48 AM by curaga »

Offline kalu

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
As mentioned in the other thread, it would be faster to build a new app using webkitfltk than to adapt a browser, as for kiosk usage you don't need tabs/history/etc etc.

You're right Curaga. Thanks for the tip! I'll try to look into that....

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 03:49:51 AM »
It would be helpful if the fifth search box were not cleared each time the web page is changed as a user is likely to be searching for the same thing on multiple web pages.