WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: videos crash chromium-browser  (Read 10189 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: videos crash chromium-browser
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
http://www.zdf.de   might not be the best sample site because it appears to serve up various versions of the site depending on the capabilities of the browser.

looking at the code there doesn't appear to be any flash content served up for the Chromium browser ?? (but I could be wrong, haven't done much with HTML5 to be deterministic  of the difference)
yep, was wrong about that
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:31:25 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
In a virtual machine with single core cpu and 512MB RAM I can run flash video with sound all day long in either Chromium or firefox using Xorg or Xvesa and flash v11.2    With a little less memory Firefox will just barely run flash video but Flash in Chromium will not likely run at all.

Interestingly, I didn't attempt an installation without sound support

Offline Mike7

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Volker-

After installing sound I watched all these videos without any issues.

Very interesting.

Chromium browser did not crash in my case as you wrote in your first post.

I should not have posted that, it was not a correct description of the problem. Chromium does not crash when I try to play Youtube videos. What does happen is exactly as you described.

according to my findings the few videos I checked you can't see without sound support.

So that may be the answer.

I'm saving up all these possible solutions for when I have the time to try them out (after I get to New York and deal with my medical issues).

Here's my file:

Video problem: possible causes and solutions

- No sound installed: install alsa and maybe alsamixergui (see Keith Terrill's reinstall experiment).

- Flashplayer not working or not installed properly: remove and re-install.

- Network too slow or not enough bandwidth: try to play Youtube videos with current Chromium/Flash installation using TP-Link instead of my internal wireless adapter; take my computer to where there's a stronger wifi signal; borrow someone's ethernet.

- Not enough RAM: create a swap file or partition (?).

- Chromium doesn't work with my computer: try Firefox.

- Flash 11 won't work with my CPU: no solution.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
Hi Mike7,

But I think you left one step out: I have to run getFlash11.tcz after installing it, no?

No.

I assume your procedure won't modify the pendrive that the iso is on, as long as I don't try to do a backup, right?

There's no filesystem on the pendrive to write into. All installations are lost after shutdown.

Chromium does not crash when I try to play Youtube videos. What does happen is exactly as you described.

Very interesting.

So that may be the answer.

That may be so.

Volker

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
Hi tinypoodle,

sorry, I disagree. I did the experiment described above.

At first I didn't install sound and watched a video at http://www.zdf.de. Ok, it was "silent movie", but no further problems appeared.

Then I switched to Youtube. I tried several videos. The same phenomenon appeared regularly: After playing a few seconds the video stopped playing and an error message similiar to "An error occured"... was shown. Several hints were given like waiting for half a minute, browser update, flash update and so on.

Truth is, when it comes to youtube specifically, since many years I haven't used flashplayer with it but either mplayer or html5.
AFAIK mplayer works perfectly well without a sound system, and as you say yourself flashplayer could on other sides than youtube as well.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mike7

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »
Hi, Volker.

But I think you left one step out: I have to run getFlash11.tcz after installing it, no?

No.

I forgot that getFlash11.tcz installs flash. It's kinda hard to remember how everything works.

There's no filesystem on the pendrive to write into. All installations are lost after shutdown.

Of course. Sometimes I'm a little thick.

I've been very busy preparing for my trip to the States and will be likewise occupied when I get there. So I won't be able to get back to the forum for a while. But I will be back.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
All-

I will be absent from the forum for a while due to my trip to the States. I want to thank everyone here for your generous help. I'll be back as soon as time permits.

Cheers!

Mike

Offline volkerp

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »
Hi tinypoodle,

since many years I haven't used flashplayer with it but either mplayer or html5

Flashplayer is proprietary software which I don't value. I didn't forgo to use it until now, because I feared too heavy lost of performance. But if you can live without it, why not me?

I'm going to look for alternative solutions.

Thank you for your food for thought! :)

Volker