Tiny Core Base > Release Candidate Testing

tinycore_v2.0rc3

<< < (3/4) > >>

meo:
Hi Robert!

I have tried TC v2.0rc3 for a while and I still have issues with the jwm extension. Flwm works just fine but when I load jwm.tce and reboot I get the famous black screen with an x. The wbar appears though but no menu. I know that I probably can't give it a fair try because I have a pretty complicated 12-boot system on my 8+ year old laptop. I have to be a bit careful not to mess up this system. So for now I go with the v2.0rc1 version since I prefer jwm over flwm. This might seem to be a negative post but I really appreciate the TC v2.0 and I think it will be just fine when the final release comes.

Have fun and many thanks for the work you put down,
meo

PS I have 2 versions of DSL, 8 versions of TC, Windows XP and the last version of ubuntu in the 12-boot system. So I pick the one that fits best with what I'm going to do and boot that one DS

Kingdomcome:
I was seeing the same behavior when trying to use jwm as well.  I was seeing a "could not open display" error after the creation of .XAuthoriy that I assumed was from jwm starting. Following Roberts suggestion to play with the sleep time in .xsession, I had no success.  So tried adding a "sleep 1" before the line that starts the WM and jwm has started properly since.  I rebooted at least 10 times to test, and that appears to be working for me.  FWIW I am using fairly new hardware that would boot 2.0rc2 to the desktop in about 10 seconds.

Kingdomcome

roberts:
Thanks for the feedback. I am working to improve consistency in this area by deprecating .desktop this will be in the next rc.

roberts:

--- Quote ---Are the menu interfaces required when using a window manager that does not have a menu? (i.e. evilwm)

or should they be kept as a blank file or only with
Code:
#!/bin/sh
in them?
--- End quote ---
Good point. I am addressing this in the next RC.
If they, the interface files, don't exist, they won't try to execute.
So, bottom line, no. YOu should not be required to make empty ones.

robc:

--- Quote ---Good point. I am addressing this in the next RC.
If they, the interface files, don't exist, they won't try to execute.
So, bottom line, no. YOu should not be required to make empty ones.
--- End quote ---
I can update those extensions for 2.0rc3 now  :)
Thank you for the hard work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version