WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tinycore and SSD  (Read 1879 times)

Offline gwalther

Tinycore and SSD
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
I recently replaced the hdd in my older laptop with a 2GB Transcend SSD.   Is there anything  I can do, or configure, to optomize my SSD life?

(This computer is a Thinkpad T30 with 768MB of memory running TC4.  I use it to mainly surf the web (firefox) and stream internet radio (XMMS).  It seems to boot faster with the SSD then with the hdd.  I configured the SSD with a 512MB swap partition, but I have never noticed the swap partion being used/required)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Tinycore and SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
Make sure your partitions are on 4K boundaries.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »
Begin with an ATA secure erase to achieve max possible performance prior to new partition creation.

If using gparted to create partitions, you may simply  set the first (or only) partition's start boundary to 1 MiB.  Thereafter the first and subsequent partitions will be aligned correctly for most/all scenarios including most SOHO raid configurations, providing maximum read, write performance.  Wear leveling in modern SSD's is provided by it's in house controller & firmware.

I use 1 MiB for partition start boundaries on all my SSD's which achieve maximum drive spec performance.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:20:32 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:22 AM »
The usual advice about preferring backup & extensions to persistent home applies.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.