WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problem Saving ALSA Settings  (Read 23321 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Problem Saving ALSA Settings
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
It may be that this version was compiled without alsa support.
You need to ask the extension authors.

http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/src/rdesktop/rdesktop.build
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Drew

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:51 AM »
Okay, installed OSS.tcz.  Sound test come back good.  Still no sound being redirected to client.  If I just use '-r sound' in the string, rdesktop reports that "no available sound driver found", just like in the case of ALSA.  Perhaps a more complex -r parameter is needed, I've tried many different ones, but they result in other warnings, seg-faults, etc., probably because the string is not quite right.  So if it's just the -r variable that is incorrect, then why does "-r sound" work just fine on another work station, with no errors reported after disconnect -- at least none shown in the terminal window?  It would seem that there is still something fundamentally missing.

Some of you have suggested that rdesktop is compiled without some critical components.  Is now the time to officially discuss that with extension authors?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »
Did you create the libao.conf file for oss as discussed precviously?

Offline Drew

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
I tried Rich's suggestion first by creating libao.conf in /etc with code being "default_driver=oss" , not sure if that is even correct.  No change. 

Please clarify what you mean by trying ~/.libao/libao.conf.  Is this a command?  If so, I'm getting command not found message. 

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
~ is your home directory.
Core is a toolkit, not a install and run distro.  You need to have bacic Linux skills.
A good Linux introduction is http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Offline Drew

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
I will say that I have written, and erased this response many times before actually posting.  Admittedly, this is becoming frustrating.  Somehow the fact of TC being just a toolkit holds heavy relevance, and when I ask for clarification on specific terminology and how it relates to resolving this issue, I get the response that TC is a toolkit, and I am immediately directed to some additional resource, and that I don't know enough about Linux to use TC, because it's just a toolkit.

Let me explain my application of TC once more.  My company has at least 50 thinclient terminals that are still in good working condition that we've had for years.  We bought them when thin clients were way less expensive than they are now.  We would like to continue using them to connect to newer server technologies -- namely Windows Server 2008r2 and 2012.  Toolkit or not, TC loads right up on the thinclients, and works great.  The socat extension will allow us to continue using the thinclients as print servers also.  The rdesktop extension (an additional tool to add to the kit) plays well with the new server base, which was the biggest bridge to cross.  However, it's not perfect, sound being one of it's very few flaws -- at least in this case.

Toolkit or not, I really don't think I need to explain the value of getting this issue resolved.  Fifty refreshed thinclients, or 50 new PC's?  It is more than a toolkit for us, but you can call it what you want.

Back on topic, this same sound issue with rdesktop was addressed on another thread that is still unsolved.  Perhaps I should have gave up then.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
Hi Drew
Have you tried:
Code: [Select]
rdesktop -r sound=local

Offline Drew

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
Hi Rich,

Yes I have tried entering the parameter that way as well.  Once I log off of the server, I see the following message in the terminal window:  "WARNING: no working audio driver found"

NOTE:  This warning only appears when a sound event is attempted on the server.  For example, the process I am running on the server will beep at you if you enter a wrong value, and display an "Item not on file" message.  Once I log off of the server after that notification beep is attempted, I get the rdesktop warning noted above.  But if no server event normally accompanied by sound takes place, then log-off proceeds with no rdesktop messages displayed in terminal window.

I will also say again, that I'm not entirely convinced that my parameter is somehow incorrect in regard to the -r value.  I looked closely at the actual rdesktop help notes that display when you simply run rdesktop.  There is a segment about redirecting sound to client, with characters that I'm not familiar with using when setting up and rdesktop connection.  This section is also where it mentions the libao driver as being available on TC.  On the Ubuntu station, it says ALSA is the available driver.  Here is a list of what I've tried so far, probably not all:

-r sound (works fine on Ubuntu station, ALSA is indeed what appears to be the sound driver here)
-r sound:localhost:alsa
-r sound:local:alsa
-r sound:local:libao
-r sound=local (per your suggestion)
-r sound=localhost=alsa
-r sound=localhost=libao
-r sound=local=alsa
-r sound=local=alsa

When I try to use the [,],| characters that are listed in the rdesktop help screen, then I get other seg-fault warnings and errors.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
I tried Rich's suggestion first by creating libao.conf in /etc with code being "default_driver=oss" , not sure if that is even correct.  No change.
As tc extensions should be compiled to /usr/local, this might need to be /usr/local/etc/libao.conf

Please clarify what you mean by trying ~/.libao/libao.conf.  Is this a command?  If so, I'm getting command not found message.
"~" is shorthand for /home/user, usually /home/tc/.libao/libao.conf

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Drew

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »
Hi Juanito

So I created the /usr/local/etc/libao.conf file and since I'm trying OSS, the file says "default_driver=oss".  No change, again trying many different -r combinations.  I also tried the same approach using ALSA.  I haven't found a working configuration yet, so in this case, I simply reboot the .iso, and start over with the extensions just for the current session, so no conflicts are possible between OSS and ALSA on the various attempts.

So my next question is in reference to the /home/tc/.libao/libao.conf.  Should the .libao already be in the tc directory?  If so, I'm not seeing it.  Is this something that needs to be created, and then dropped the libao.conf in that folder? 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
different applications do things  in different ways so it's not sure that libao would use /home/tc/.libao/libao.conf, but yes, you might need to create /home/tc/.libao

Offline Drew

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
Okay, created /home/tc/.libao/libao.conf containing the line "default=alsa".  Still no sound coming to the client.  Depending on how I enter the -r parameter, it will still say "no working audio driver found." 

In the interim, I've done quite a bit of searching on this matter, more specific to rdesktop, than TC.  There is all kinds of suggestions out there like having to also redirect your hard drive to the server, to adding aa_oss at the beginning of the rdesktop string if the alsa-oss wrapper is installed, and so on.

At this point, I've spent so much time on this, that to go in any particular direction seems daunting, not knowing how much time it will take just to find out if it's going to work or not.  Then if it doesn't work, going down the other path is that much more daunting.  Some part of me thinks that the solution is a very easy one, but just not getting to it yet.

Maybe there are additional steps that I need to take besides creating the /home/tc/.libao/libao.conf.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
Hi Drew
It's a bit dated, but you could give this a shot:
http://www.xinotes.net/notes/note/891/

Offline Drew

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 06:20:58 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the link, but tried that already.  Even installed OSS instead of ALSA to give that a spin.  And OSS works good with the card, ran osstest, and decent sound resulted. 

At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rdesktop string that I'm using isn't somehow failing to access the sound resource correctly.  In looking at the -r help examples, the -r sound parameter appears rather complex.  Of course, that would be an rdesktop matter, perhaps I should explore that a little more specifically.  If any other suggestions come up, I'd be more than willing to try. 

To everybody trying to present a resolution, thanks, I appreciate the effort very much.