dCore Import Debian Packages to Mountable SCE extensions > dCore X86

How does one use dCore?

(1/3) > >>

robintel:
Hello,

I am new with this distro and I am having problems locating updated dCore usage information.

For instance, is it possible to get something as functional as TinyCore Plus using dCore? How?

Else, how does one install packages into dCore? I heard SCE is outdated and I see the folder no longer exists on the webserver.

Else, having booted from the ISO, I get the prompt, but it's not very useful. So, what can one do, for instance, to install Python, or Start X using framebuffer...

Thanks,
Robin

Jason W:
Hi,
dCore is available only as the 6MB dCore.gz or the 10MB iso image.  There is presently no CorePlus equivalent.  Though the tce directory can reside in RAM, it helps to use a writable Linux filesystem like a hard drive or flash device. 

The command "importsce" is what is used to fetch and install packages.  "importsce python" is the command to install python, when there are more than one package with very similar names, a menu of choices will appear.  SCE is the resulting package format, SCM was the one that was retired.  The importsce tool fetches Debian packages along with all their dependencies and combines them into one SCE file.  The command "loadsce" is what is used to install the package once it is imported. 

The package "xorg-all" is a meta package that would work for all supported video cards.  "Xprogs" and a window manager/desktop environment would make for an X session. 

Those are some of the basics.  Hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any other questions. 

There is some info in the below directory, I will review it for outdated material as dCore development is often rapid.

http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/x86/README/

EDIT:  I see Rich posted a link to some info as well in the below post, I will update it as well.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16440.msg99010.html#msg99010

cast-fish:
so with dcore

do you see a list of packages available for building into SCE's  or not?

does "dcore" come with it's gui interface ready?   e.g.  "fluxbox"

say you want to have VLC on your computer

do you just type

"importsce vlc"

Vince.

Jason W:
Hi,

Type the command "importsce" and it will prompt you to enter the first letters of a package name, and a menu of similarly named packages will appear.  Enter "file" and 14 package names come up to choose from.

dCore does not come with it's gui ready, you have to import xorg, Xprogs, and a window manager.

And to import vlc, it is simply "importsce vlc". 

cast-fish:
ok thanks Jason

do you think it will work with "Ardour" music tool?

is "dcore" simply looking at the same repo's as what a debian OS would offer it's user?

thanks

Vince

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version