WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: G84M grapics card driver kernel/Xorg  (Read 15916 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: G84M grapics card driver kernel/Xorg
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
a very well known and much used graphics card

Or notorious according to many  :P
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
Well, if you want?? I can send you the driver extension  I've been working on for you to test ??   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TinyFun

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
@Tinypoodle,

Notorious? Infamous for causing troubles. Starting to understand Linus's "finger" a while back when talking about nvidia. thanks, you made me laugh again

@Coreplayer2,

I'd be grateful. mail is [suspicious]pietje@puk@314[at]hotmail.com[/suspicious]. Remove the @'s and put @ in place of [at]. But I'd be more grateful still if you would show me what I'm doing wrong as it seems to be working on your system?

So far, I've noticed that:
/lib/modules/3.8.13-tinycore/build/include/linux/ = /usr/src/include/linux
Header files from linux-3.8.3-api-headers are stored in /usr/include. These header files are links to the corresponding CLOOP files.
Have a feeling that the answer is close, but can't see it (yet). Something like a way to merge the header-directories and the source-directories. Moving/copying manually ? Pfffff...

I assume there is a way to obtain the headers: to dump the linux-3.8.3-api-headers.tcz and simply(?) compile everything in /usr/src/ ? Then again, the nouveau.ko.gz module I compiled is not correct. Probably a stupid mistake due to lack of knowledge. But maybe I'll just let the machine "huff and puff" while I'm sleeping.

The good news: I've only been playing with Tinycore and asking newbie questions on this forum for a few days, but have learned more about linux than after years of Mint/Knoppix.

Edit:
Started compiling in the hope it will correct things.
Question: my machine is 64 bit, but I am running a 32 bit version of TC. Just saw some messages like "xxxxx count shifted, 32 is not between 0 and 31" Too fast to see exactly. Could that be the reason compiling nouveau failed ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:21:15 PM by TinyFun »

Offline TinyFun

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
Hope it's not against forum-etiquette, decided to make this a new post A few observations:

-  Compiling does not generate version.h
-  Google says missing version.h is a quite common problem with proprietary apps
-  Found several post claiming version.h is no longer supported in kernel
   like http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.can/4721
   Reliability ? Can anyone confirm ?

Also found several work-arounds:
-  symlinks as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware (search  for version.h)
-  using make as per http://downloadmirror.intel.com/5874/eng/README.txt  (search  for version.h)

Both did not work for me. Got make error and with symlinks, Nvivia installer complained it could not determine kernel version and quit. Outright copy of file did not work

Also tried starting nvidia installer with --add-this-kernel and kernel-source-path=usr/src[/]

Still nojoy. Nvidia seems to want version.h and nothing else.As I do not know how to generate one, i'm throwing the towel in the ring. This is beyond me.

Except maybe I could check if there is a newer driver (does nvidia have beta's? They have been talking about supporting linux rather publicly. Worth checking?)
And: nvidia installer has -x option to extract. Possibility to see how they check? Possibility for a small "hack"?.

Don't know. Robert Pirsig would say that i am "out of gumption"

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good, do we need anyone to tell us these things?

[EDIT]: Removed the marquee tags because they are obnoxious and annoying.  Rich
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:30:52 PM by Rich »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
Before blacklisting, booted from cd. Added nouveau-3.8.13-tinycore.tcz to /tmp/tce.optional and tried to load it.
Gave error:
modprobe: can't load module nouveau (kernel.tclocal/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko.gz) unknown symbol in module or unknown parameter

I assume nouveau.ko depends on a module in the graphics-KERNEL extension - you can check using "modinfo nouveau"

Offline TinyFun

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »
Hi, Juanito,
Late in the evening, or morning for you ? Thanks, as you can see from last post, needed a "pickup".
Will try your suggestion, but first have to close my eyes. This @#@#$@@#$ problem has burned too much "midnight oil".

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
Hope it's not against forum-etiquette
Using the <marquee> tag would fit that description in my book   :o

EDIT: Looks like I was slow and that had already been taken care of when I posted.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:52:16 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Before blacklisting, booted from cd. Added nouveau-3.8.13-tinycore.tcz to /tmp/tce.optional and tried to load it.
Gave error:
modprobe: can't load module nouveau (kernel.tclocal/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko.gz) unknown symbol in module or unknown parameter
Did you run
Code: [Select]
sudo modprobefirst?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
I didn't realize it but Rich is a maintainer of an Nvidia extension.  I had previously sent Arslan S a heads up on needing an update, meanwhile I compiled my own, one for each x86 and x86_64 systems.

Meanwhile..   TinyFun if you're still having trouble  I sent you complete (driver,glx,settings,openCL) 32bit nvidia v319.49 driver extension and install instructions for you to try out,  good luck

Use glxgears  from xdemos.tcz to test 3d FPS
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:34:11 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline TinyFun

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:32 AM »
About marquee: sorry, won't happen again. Hope you don't mind this : :-[

@Tinypoodle, Juanito, will try your suggestions about nouveau later today. Am not certain about
Did you run
Code: [Select]

sudo modprobe

after all the experiments regarding nvidia

@coreplayer2
Very kind of you Thanks a lot ! Will try. On a "clean" install.

So, enough things left to test. But...will try to see it as a game and not let it get to me if things do not work.