WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: need help add to /opt in remaster  (Read 4329 times)

Offline katzohki

need help add to /opt in remaster
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to build a simple remaster of Tiny Core Linux. Adding the programs that I want it to have is not a problem, but I'm running into difficulty adding files to the archive.

Let me explain what I want:  add a couple extensions (no prob using ezremaster) and then add a script /opt/script.sh and make changes to /opt/bootlocal.sh . Then it should run my script on startup. Currently I'm using ezremaster to build everything up, then simply adding the script to /tmp/ezremaster/extract/opt/ and modifying the bootlocal.sh in the same location.

Unfortunately, any time I make changes in this way and then run "Create ISO" OR do "remaster.sh /tmp/ezremaster/ezremaster.cfg rebuild"  it creates an iso that is not bootable. And by not bootable I mean this is the error I receive:

Code: [Select]
ISOLINUX 4.05 0X4f92e181 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al
EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 7041
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

and then sits at boot: prompt.

I hope someone will have some advice for me. Thank you!

Offline tinypoodle

Re: need help add to /opt in remaster
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
It might be best first to compare burned disc with image.
A comprehensible HowTo can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline katzohki

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
Ah, well since I'm remastering the iso, the MD5 sum would definitely be different. I would only get the same hash if I rebuilt the same (default) iso.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
He means to compare the md5sum of your remastered CD with your remastered iso.

Offline katzohki

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »
Ah, I gotcha. Well, I'm running it in VMware at the moment. Not sure if burning it to a cd would help much when I can't get my VM to boot from it, but I can give it a shot.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
You could have mentioned that from the start...
Forget about comparing checksums then.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline katzohki

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
I apologize. I really did try my best to include all information about the project, but I still missed that detail.

I do have more information though. In the .iso, under /boot the core.gz is a different file size than the standard build. That, I think, is expected because that is where the packed files are stored. Examining it with 7zip however, shows a "Data error in 'boot\core.gz'. File is broken" error.

Edit: There's more...
With the working version that I remastered to have bash and nano, there is only a boot/core.gz/core file, but with the build downloaded from the site (TinyCore-current) there is /boot/core.gz/core.cpio with all the /bin /dev /etc /opt (etc) directories that you would expect.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:34:52 AM by katzohki »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »
Have you excluded that to be more of a 7z issue of treating cpio  archives with a filename ending in *.cpio different than without?

Offline katzohki

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
I don't know about 7zip. I tried renaming it a few different ways and it either caused a kernel panic or a "/boot/core.gz not found" error.

But anyway... I think I solved my own question. What I did was load up a new instance of TinyCore-current and then make changes to the /opt folder like I needed. Then I saved as mybackup.tgz and when remastering via ezremaster choose this archive where it asks for it. That worked, but I ended up having to boot my script later from /root/.profile, so I backed up that file instead.

So thanks for the help guys!