WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] onboot.lst and switching between computers  (Read 2558 times)

Offline LazyLarry

[SOLVED] onboot.lst and switching between computers
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
in trying to resolve other questions posted here, i seem to be digging myself further into a hole. I have a CF card with TC that i need Xorg instead of Xvesa to run an old 640X480 LCD. I'm setting up the CF card via a ubuntu laptop which has web access (the target hardware doesnt)
SO I start with a clean TC plus iso. I  boot up on the laptop with the Xvesa and all is ok. I installed fluff and Xorg-7.6 and have them run on boot. The boot code at startup says cde. I have a cde directory with an onboot.lst file that lists all the main extensions, Xvesa being the first in the list. I also have a tce directory with another onboot.lst file that has fluff, Xorg-7.6 and a few others. The laptop has a hard disk, which TC sees as /mnt/sda1. The CF card is /mnt/sdb1. When I start the app manager, i set the tce directory to /mnt/sdb1.

When I reboot on the laptop, it only loads the cde/onboot.lst files. When i powerup the target hardware, it only loads the /tce/onboot.lst files.
Why is this? Is it to do with there being no sda1 drive?

Also, to get Xorg running on the laptop, i had to copy the Xorg tcz file from /tce/optional to cde/optional and edit cde/onboot.lst and change the first line from Xvesa to Xorg-7.6. I assume this is correct, as i do get a gui when running on the laptop.

So, i then take this CF card and plug it into the target motherboard, it goes through loading the /tce/optional extensions, but stops at the prompt.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:09:28 AM by LazyLarry »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: onboot.lst and switching between computers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:29 AM »
You should not be using a cde directory or cde= boot code.  That is for read-only CD media only.
Core will search for the tce directory on boot.  You may need the 'waitusb=5' boot option with the CF card.

Offline LazyLarry

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
the boot code just has cde in it. no equals. do i just delete this?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:17 AM »
Hi LazyLarry
Replace  cde  boot code with  waitusb=5
Place any extensions you need in  /tce/optional
Remove  cde  directory

Offline LazyLarry

[SOLVED] Re: onboot.lst and switching between computers
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
thanks for the pointer. sorted