WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Custom (non-Debian repo) istallations  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Silent

Custom (non-Debian repo) istallations
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
Hi! Sorry for dumb questions but... could please someone help me with assaultcube installation? I think its a .tar.bz2 archive or something like that. Dependencies are here http://assault.cubers.net/download.html Is it possible? I need a step by step guide cos im kinda noob when it comes to linux and stuff. Thanx!

P.S. Will importsce "all_deps_i_need" + sourceforge.net as an opt instead of wheezy work?
P.P.S. How can i manually download something and make an sce of it within dCore or Win?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:57:00 AM by Silent »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Custom (non-Debian repo) istallations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
Importing and loading the deps would work on dCore like on Debian.  But the installation of upstream/non-Debian programs varies widely, there is no one way to install them.   

Perhaps if someone gets this game installed and running they can provide some insight on this specific app.

Offline Silent

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
First i would like to thank you for such a fast reply.

Oh... ok i see. There is an older version of AC on Weezy, but i wanted the newest one. In Ubuntu (different OS, but Debian based, as long as i know) i have installed some custom .tar stuff. I just had to extrat the archive somwhere on disk an run .sh script which done the installation. So... my next question will be... does dCore X86 native support this .sh installing or what to use to run such a script (if provided in AC.tar.bz2) and what is the best app to "rip" archives?

I hope im not wasting too much of your precious time with such a trivial thing like a game is..........
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:14:42 AM by Silent »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Hi Silent,
Once the dependencies are in place, the .sh script should run and install like it is on Debian. 

I use the "tar xjvf AC.tar.bz2" command for files like these.

I may take a try at this app when I get in tonight as I am curious now.

Thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
I just installed the deps and ran assault cube, real simple.  Below are the list of deps.  Include them in a file, one package per line, and if the name is file import it with "importsce -f file".  Be sure to use the dCore.gz in the release candidates area so you can use this sce as a dep.  For example name it acdeps

Code: [Select]
libsdl1.2debian
libsdl-image1.2
zlib1g libogg0
libvorbis0a
libopenal1
libcurl3

Then follow the below instructions

mkdir -p pkg/usr/local/bin/
tar xjvf AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2.tar.bz2
mv AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2 pkg/usr/local/

mksquashfs pkg assaultcube.sce
echo "acdeps" > assaultcube.sce.dep

Then copy assaultcube.sce and assaultcube.sce.dep to your /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/sce/ directory.    When you load assaultcube.sce, it should load acdeps.sce automatically if you are using dCore.gz from the release candidates area.

Offline Silent

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
Thank you so much!

But since im a noob.... i might still have a few more questions. Is the r.c. of dCore stable and safe? Will the importsce work only with original Debian servers? Is it possible (that if a miracle will happened and i would somehow compile all deps and AC to a single .pkg or even .sce and put it on Dropbox for example) to set totally different url for custom importsce checking?

And of course.... the "file" doesnt need to have any extension? I just copy the text and save it like that & via what can i do so? Dont kill me if im asking too dumb questions, but...zlib1g and libogg0 seem to me like 2 packages, arent they?

...ill try it myself as soon as i will be completely sure that i wont mess things up. It happened to me numerous times in the past, but i have learnt(or learned?) from my mistakes. At least i hope i did...

*i have started this whole topic cos i really like AssaultCube + it has very low sys. req. so i think its a perfect gaming choice for CoreBasedOSs, so youd know, if you are interrested why ive posted it
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:15:59 PM by Silent »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »
Hi Silent,

Yes, the release candidate of dCore is stable and safe, is made of the same Debian files as the stable one but with the scripting routines of importsce updated to allow more features.   In fact, the most current one usually has bugfixes for errors that may exist in the previous releases.

If you import a file list with the "importsce -f file" command, it is made into one sce that can be transported where you wish and downloaded and used on any dCore system, provided you did not use the -d option for deps.  In that case, just also copy the depdendent sce's.  You can add different Debian repos to your package system also, search the forum for the specifics.

Offline Silent

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »
Fine, thanks again. You helped me a lot. Now i think i know what i need to know so ill try it asap. Let you know here if it worked well.

Also ill check other parts of the forum as youve suggested.