WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: My time has not changed  (Read 2736 times)

Offline paskali

My time has not changed
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:53:45 AM »
Hi all, as well as a lot of you know, the last sunday of the october month the time in almost all europe countries have to be changed.
I have set my local tz variable as follow:

TZ='CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3'

I hoped the time makes update in automatic mode but it is not happened and i see yet the old time.

Why?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: My time has not changed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
I tested your bootcode with the 5.0.2 iso, it correctly gave CET (UTC+1) time.

Make sure you don't have "noutc", and that the tz=blabla has tz in lower case.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
I'm using "noutc" boot code plus the same time zone boot code (but lower case "tz=").
For me it did work as expected.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline paskali

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
I tested your bootcode with the 5.0.2 iso, it correctly gave CET (UTC+1) time.

Make sure you don't have "noutc", and that the tz=blabla has tz in lower case.

There is no differences between upper and lower case and i do not really want to set in UTC the date on my BIOS: simply it did not work. However i have noticed the change two days after.
Now i have to wait the next spring.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
Post the output of 'showbootcodes'.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
UTC time is required for Linux to be able to automatically move to DST and back.

http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3655154

Linux will change to and from DST when the HWCLOCK setting is set to `-u', i.e. when the hardware clock is set to UTC (which is closely related to GMT), regardless of whether Linux was running at the time DST is entered or left.

When the HWCLOCK setting is set to `--localtime', Linux will not adjust the time, operating under the assumption that your system may be a dual boot system at that time and that the other OS takes care of the DST switch. If that was not the case, the DST change needs to be made manually.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:15:44 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline paskali

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
Post the output of 'showbootcodes'.

Code: [Select]
paskali@zemir:~$ set | grep CMDLINE
CMDLINE=' BOOT_IMAGE=Normal ro tce=sda1 waitusb=0 swapfile=sda2 home=sda2 opt=sda2 norestore kmaps=qwerty/us-acentos noswap nodhcp host=zemir noutc tz=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3 user=paskali laptop nozswap multivt acpi_backlight=vendor quiet'

UTC time is required for Linux to be able to automatically move to DST and back.

There is no problem for me to adjust manually the time however it is need to set tz as well i made to syncronize the clock with an ntp server:

Code: [Select]
sudo ntpclient -s -c 1 -h ntp1.inrim.it
sudo hwclock -w -l
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:32:32 AM by paskali »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
Unlikely to be related to timezone issues, but "ro" is wrong, while "waitusb=0" appears meaningless.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline paskali

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Unlikely to be related to timezone issues, but "ro" is wrong, while "waitusb=0" appears meaningless.

Some time ago we have already talked about my bootcodes in this forum or elsewhere, i do not really want to explain one-by-one those are all right.

Please consider to talk only about the main question, discard the rest.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
This is a public forum, and it is not difficult to observe that the proportion of not or to a small degree active users is rather high, while the proportion of guest visitors versus members may be even higher.

Therefore, whatever is articulated here should be done so with all potential readers in mind; hence I pointed out what I did even if it might not directly concern the main subject of the thread, while clearly stating that the questionable boot parameters would rather unlikely be at the cause of the latter.

Core is the first (and so far only) system with which daylight saving changes worked fully automagically - for 8 consecutive times by now, after configuring it in my bootloader once, inspired by this post:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,5017.msg27012.html#msg27012
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)