WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Compaq 6910p + Radeon X2300 + Xfbdev?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
Compaq 6910p + Radeon X2300 + Xfbdev?
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:20:35 AM »
I rec'd an older Compaq laptop (6910p) with a Radeon X2300. Putting on TC 4.7.7 was easy, but getting the Radeon drivers working with Xfbdev is new to me.

For Xvesa, onboot.lst just has Xvesa.tcz + flwm.tcz + deps and away I go: run xsetup, etc. Reboots/boots fine.

For Xfbdev, though, I'm stumped. I crop Xvesa, add firmware-radeon to the top of the list, then add graphics-3.0.12-tinycore, then add Xfbdev ... and reboot. All those load, but I keep getting a dreadful error: timeout, failed in waitforX.

I can run startx from ~ and the desktop loads up fine, but this isn't right. Logging out of X doesn't work right, either. Nothing peculiar in dmesg. /tmp/wm_errors is empty. I'm stumped. The only error I can find is the timeout from waitforX.

Any advice on Radeon + Xfbdev setup? I'm interested to avoid the weight of Xorg, but will head that way if it's really necessary.

DLT

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
Re: Compaq 6910p + Radeon X2300 + Xfbdev?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
Boot problem solved: the graphics card is not by the time ~/.xsession calls Xfbdev. There is no way for startx to really know if the graphics card is ready.

Solved by adding a wait loop at the top of .xsession. I monitor dmesg using:
dmesg | tail -5 | grep "Initialized radeon"

TC is too quick!

DLT