WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Bug: Persistent opt and home have user/group/perms altered (All v4 and v5)  (Read 1791 times)

Offline cpoakes

TinyCore and dCore alter the user and group of all files and directories in a persistent home (home= boot parm), and the group and group permissions in a persistent opt (opt= parm).  When I use a persistent home to build and rebuild a custom initrd for debugging dCore (currently: why does udevadm whine so much?), all the normal filesystem ownerships in my working directory are trashed by rebooting.  Opt has similar misbehaviour. 

The origin of the problem with home is function setupHome.  The tc-config script takes care to not call setupHome if a persistent home is mounted.  It appears the original design wanted to avoid this problem.  However, script tce-setup takes no similar precautions, and always calls setupHome (in both TC and dCore versions).  The owner/group are always changed. 

The script tc-config is responsible for changing to group "staff" and making everything group writeable in /opt. What if this directory contained root SUID programs?

I would argue that as a Debian derivative, dCore cannot alter the permissions in established filesystems that may be required for specific correct operation.  I would also argue in general that establishing a filesystem for persistent content carries a reasonable expectation for persistent permissions and ownership as well.

Update:  The startup script of dCore module Xtc.sce also enforces the ownership/group just like setupHome.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:14:38 PM by cpoakes »