WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bittorrent client in tinycorelinux  (Read 7253 times)

Offline traltixx

bittorrent client in tinycorelinux
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
Hi,
I was wondering if there is an alternative to bittorrent client in tinycorelinux aside from btpd preferably one with a gui (kinda like uTorrent)?
I'm pretty new to linux and tinycorelinux is perfect for my low-end system but I don't quite know my way around it yet.
Thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: bittorrent client in tinycorelinux
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »
Opera has a gui ;), and I like to use aria2 (command-line)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline traltixx

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice aria2, but you are saying that opera and aria2 can be used together? Like opera frontend (GUI) and aria2 backend? How do you do that?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
I think opera has the client built-in.

Offline traltixx

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
Ah, I didn't notice that. Thanks!
Also, I've noticed that there is a limit on number of threads(?) that any of these bittorrent client have. What I mean is that after x number of .torrent files being downloaded, any more after that won't start until the ones that are being downloaded complete. Is this correct? I can't seem to figure out why after quite a few .torrent files, adding more won't start yet these torrents are fine.
Anyway, thanks again. Looks like opera is the one for me.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:03:09 AM »
It might be a client-specific setting. I doubt there's an universal limit to how many one can download at once. Opera's additional settings are in opera:config.

Could it be that your up/down connection is being exhausted? Also cheap routers have trouble with lots of connections at the same time.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »
Seems to me opera is a "heavy" solution to a gui bit torrent client. Transmission is a free linux 4.5MB tar.bz2 BitTorrent client written from scratch in C.
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »
The GTK+ interface has been carefully written with the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines in mind. It uses libnotify for torrent notification, DBUS for hibernation management, and GIO for watch directories.
GTK+ - still goes, but anything gtk2 is not light
dbus - ughhhh....
gio, notify - extras, more deps

Note I'm not claiming Opera to be a light BT client either. It's a light browser though :)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »
I built transmission and it works well, am packaging it up now.  No dbus, gio, libnotify needed,  just gtk2, curl and openssl.

Offline traltixx

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I had to use opera because I also kinda needed a browser. Unfortunately after several days of using opera, btpd and aria2c, I seem to find btpd better because it is easier for me. I haven't heard about transmission though. Is it in the appbrowser of tinycorelinux 2rc1? I'll give that a try.
Another requirement for the client i'm looking for is the ability to either have a scheduler of sorts (like in uTorrent) or a command-line interface that allows me to change settings (so I can cron the scheduler). I know opera has a opera:config but I dont seem to be able to set it as a crontab or schedule changes to it.

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »
Hi!
i use opera only for browsing. Because, opera have very bad builtin torrent-client. I use Bittorrent (win version in wine) . Oops! i remembered - it's on my linux mint. I don't test wine and bittorrent in tcl.