WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flashplugin and java plugin  (Read 5430 times)

Offline ooseven

Flashplugin and java plugin
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
Hello I just installed tcl for the first time. I have TinyCore-4.7.7.iso.
I have flash plugin 11 installed but not working. I have java 7 jre run time installed
but my firefox  and chromium sees flash plugin but will not run. Nether firefox or
chromium will see java plugin. So as far as java I do not think the plugin is
installed.

Do not know.

Offline thane

Re: Flashplugin and java plugin
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »
IIRC Flash also requires sound extensions (either OSS or alsa) to work.

I only visit a couple of websites that require Java, but for them I had to use the sun-jre7 extension rather than openjdk-7. Don't know why. Unfortunately Sun Java is no longer supported and gives security warnings when you use it, but it's the one that works for me.

Hopefully someone who knows more about these issues will be along to give a more informed reply.

Offline ooseven

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »
IIRC Flash also requires sound extensions (either OSS or alsa) to work.

I only visit a couple of websites that require Java, but for them I had to use the sun-jre7 extension rather than openjdk-7. Don't know why. Unfortunately Sun Java is no longer supported and gives security warnings when you use it, but it's the one that works for me.

Hopefully someone who knows more about these issues will be along to give a more informed reply.

OK thank 4 your reply. I have java working. But my flash still will not work. It does not display nothing, just the
square where it is supposed to be. It has shockwave 11.2 r202 installed. But does not work.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »
Hi

I don't go to any sites that need java so can't help you there. I assume you know there is a difference between java plugin and java script?

Within your web brower go to the address bar and type
about:plugins
  and report what you see pls

2) AFAIK chromium-browser does not take too kindly to a sym link to a libflashplayer.so

Instead, and only as suggestion that you can research, I have a get-pepper script similar in function to the get-flash one but which will work for chromium-browser users. WARNING pls read the info file and pay attention to the total downloads so if you can't afford those you have been warned.

good luck

Offline ooseven

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
Hi

I don't go to any sites that need java so can't help you there. I assume you know there is a difference between java plugin and java script?

Within your web brower go to the address bar and type
about:plugins
  and report what you see pls

2) AFAIK chromium-browser does not take too kindly to a sym link to a libflashplayer.so

Instead, and only as suggestion that you can research, I have a get-pepper script similar in function to the get-flash one but which will work for chromium-browser users. WARNING pls read the info file and pay attention to the total downloads so if you can't afford those you have been warned.

good luck

This is in my chromium: Flash - Version: 11.2.202
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
Name:   Shockwave Flash
Version:   11.2 r202
Location:   /tmp/tcloop/flash11/usr/local/share/flash11/libflashplayer.so
     Disable
MIME types:   
MIME type   Description   File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash   Shockwave Flash   
.swf
application/futuresplash   FutureSplash Player   
.spl
And this is in my firefox: Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
    Version: 11,2,202,291
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type    Description    Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash    Shockwave Flash    swf
application/futuresplash    FutureSplash Player    spl

aus9

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi

EDIT done

sorry I can't help you with a libflashplayer as its out-of-date and some sites don't like that. As I said you can't use (IMHO) libflash with chromium

If you interested in installing and running get-pepper, which will need updating from time to time mine is (pepper version)
Version:   11.2.999.999

2) Its possible that your libflashplayer(in firefox)  is a broken sym link. Pls post the full contents of this command
Code: [Select]
sudo find / -name libflashplayer*Then for each line  a second command
Code: [Select]
ls -al /pathwayhits/libflashplayer.so(number)
TIP if you can afford to install the terminal file manager mc, on each hit for the sym link, if sym link is "bad" it appears in red with an exclamation mark......good for idiots like me.

What we are looking for in firefox, is that there are no broken sym links and that the real file has some high number to it,
that number is its size and in ls -al command is to the left of the date.

If there are broken sym links, for firefox, you could try running the get flash script again?
but I won't try to fix it as its going to get older and older.

I show a snap of mc showing a bad sym link, its bad because the original file does not exist because I have not used it etc etc

good luck
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:07:50 PM by aus9 »

Offline Pats

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Hi, go online, using AppBrow dnload and load getFlash10.tcz, then laod Seamonkey.tcz, copy relevent plug-ins FlashPlayer or Java whatever to relevent plug-in dire of .mozilla ( create Plugins dire under .mozilla of required ), check if all plugins are displayed in Seamonkeys about.plugins page. And there you are with successful plug-in setup.
I use TCL3.5 with seamonkey. Same procedure for Opera browser and may be for others.
Hope this helps.

~Pats