WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Timidity++ revisited  (Read 7234 times)

Offline s4brains

Re: Timidity++ revisited
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
Juanito,

I need to explain that I did not know that libxaw was available in Xorg-libs.  I am not very smart.   I knew that I was interested in somehow obtaining the xaw interface for timidity.  The only resource which I was aware of to search for an extension which might contain an xaw library was to use a "tag" search for xaw from the "apps" menu and the only module which appeared from that search was neXtaw.

My ignorance caused you a significant amount of extra work.

I am very sorry for this!

I suspect that you are hinting that you don't believe there is something strange in the neXtaw library module that is interfering with the ability of the gtk interface to function.

If that is true, then yes, compiling without the gtk option makes sense to me.

If my guess is correct, the GUI created by compiling with links to the standard libxaw from Xorg-libs will not be quite as pretty as the one from neXtaw, but at least it will be using a standard library.  The timidity xaw interface which I'm familiar with from Ubuntu is a rather dark, ugly brown, but I don't care about that.  It is the added functionality that appears in the xaw interface which appeals to me.

I tried once to compile something and even though I was following explicit step by step instructions my effort was not very satisfying.  I was trying to create XBMC v 10.1 for Ubuntu 10.04 because I did not like the version of XBMC available in the repository.  After 3 hours of seriously overheating the 1.8 GHz CPU in a laptop I succeeded in creating something that worked but I discovered that the "explicit" instructions I had followed failed to mention a number of desirable compiling options.  Fortunately, I later discovered a personal repository that had a *.deb package for the version of XBMC which I wanted with most of my desired options.

I have great admiration for anyone who has the knowledge and patience to compile a program.

I owe a great debt to you for all the trouble I have caused you.

s4
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:50:06 PM by s4brains »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »
latest version, with only the libXaw interface, posted in the usual place - let me know if it's OK  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:02:18 AM by Juanito »

Offline s4brains

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »
Juanito,

The only issue which I can detect is with the timidity.desktop file.  Within that file the "Name=" value is "timidity gtk1" which isn't technically true.  Shouldn't the value simply be "timidity"?  With the current value, the desktop right click menu displays "timiditygtk1".

Using the standard xorg-7.6-lib produced the added benefit that the tooltips for the action buttons in the GUI now display which is nice because the action button icon for shuffle in the GUI is not intuitive.

Very nicely done!

s4

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
corrected desktop file and posted