WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: core-4.7.5: 'tce-load -wi' doesn't install previously downloaded extensions  (Read 3788 times)

Offline genec

I'll preface with: This is either a user bug or a tce-load bug (but GUI Apps is fine with this).

If extension.tcz is already in the tce directory, 'tce-load -wi extension' yields
Code: [Select]
extension is already downloaded.
Yet, with the X GUI Apps, it doesn't complain and just works.

Offline tinypoodle

I'll preface with: This is either a user bug or a tce-load bug
..or a matter of semantics
Code: [Select]
-wi  Download and install extension
Example usage:
 Load local extension:
   tce-load -i /mnt/hda1/tce/optional/nano.tcz
 Download into tce/optional directory, updates OnBoot and installs:
   tce-load -w -i nano.tcz
 Download only into tce/optional directory:
   tce-load -w nano.tcz
Case of previously downloaded extensions is not explicitely mentioned.
IMHO "warn & abort if exists" is a valid implementation, as a literal unconditional implementation would result in downloading and overwriting existing extensions which in many cases may be undesirable by user.

That said, it might be interesting to have an option "Download and/or install extension"  (without updating OnBoot) for use with lists or scripts loading multiple extensions of which part is already downloaded.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:34:28 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline genec

That said, it might be interesting to have an option "Download and/or install extension"  (without updating OnBoot) for use with lists or scripts loading multiple extensions of which part is already downloaded.

I was more aiming for "Download if needed, then check (MD5, dep) and install extension".  In context, I now understand it really means it's an error message.  "ERROR: extension is already downloaded." would have been a better message so I'd consider it a lower-priority user-feedback bug rather than a broken logic bug.

IMHO "warn & abort if exists"

In my experience, warnings are continuable albeit undesirable/unexpected while errors are fatal and will abort.  "Warning: use of option -x is deprecated and may break in future versions" continues while a later version aborts with "Error: use of option -x is deprecated" is one deprecation example of warning versus error.  GCC also uses these semantics.

Offline tinypoodle

I was more aiming for "Download if needed, then check (MD5, dep) and install extension".
I think we mean the same here; "if needed" = "and/or"

IMHO "warn & abort if exists"

In my experience, warnings are continuable albeit undesirable/unexpected while errors are fatal and will abort.  "Warning: use of option -x is deprecated and may break in future versions" continues while a later version aborts with "Error: use of option -x is deprecated" is one deprecation example of warning versus error.  GCC also uses these semantics.
Agreed, bad choice of words on my behalf - the whole issue is much about semantics.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)