WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Starting X at boot  (Read 10039 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Starting X at boot
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
I'm also wondering what purpose libasound serves loaded "onboot"?

Ditto with gtk2
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »
How dated are we talking about? Is this a really low-ram comp?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:35 AM »
Hi Vilkata
After you boot while still at the command line:
Code: [Select]
ls -l /var/log/See if  Xorg.0.log  was created. If it's there, check if it lists any errors.

Offline Vilkata

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
Juanito: I will change my onboot as you suggested, plus removing asound and gtk2. I had simply added the needed apps, and then using the app gui I removed everything listed as unneeded for onboot.

Curagua: 247 mb ram, 1.1 Gz Celeron.

Rich: Will do, and update when I get back.

Edit: /var/log/Xorg.0.log was created, and indeed lists several errors.

http://pastebin.com/2mMr9
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:02:33 AM by Vilkata »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
Hi Vilkata
I clicked on the link you provided but it says that the paste has been removed.

Offline Vilkata

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »
http://pastebin.com/SwR5p9ES Redid it, this one works

Edit: and here is the Xorg.0.log after I manually startx: http://pastebin.com/zwfNckmT
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:09:58 AM by Vilkata »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »
It might be preferable you'd post the log after manually starting X with 'startx' as well, for comparison.

In relation to requirements of Core and to testimonies of other users of this forum, I wouldn't call 247 mb ram, 1.1 Gz Celeron "incredibly dated" at all.

OTOH, the attempt of running chromium with such specs sounds painful  :o
Why would you add chromium to .X.d?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Vilkata

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »
I will do so and edit it into my last post for convenience.

And I have since changed the setup described in the original post, though the issue with X not starting remains.

My idea originally was that this computer could serve as a really basic desktop for browsing, email, etc; having it start to simply a browser seemed the best way to get the most out of it, and for the most part, it is usable for the most part, as long as flash isn't involved obviously.

When that didn't work, as I hinted at but wasn't clear about earlier, I fully reinstalled, full tinycore, which booted properly the first time, and then the same issue as here. I no longer have chromium in .X.d, and have actually switched to seamonkey.

More relevantly, possibly, I also switched flwm_topside to openbox a few hours ago, as my xorg log will most likely show, but otherwise, no changes between the two logs  ;D

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
Your log shows an Intel driver bug where it randomly fails to start. It's been reported on various OSes since 2000 and apparently never solved.

Your graphics chip, i815, is very old and basically unsupported by current Intel drivers. So you may want to use fbdev or vesa, or perhaps install a discrete graphics card.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Vilkata

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
When using Xvesa, opening a gtk app gives me buggy display, until I close it, to the point where it is unusable; Xorg, obviously, does not work without said drivers, and as such, going the route of Xorg + xf86-video-intel was my only real choice.

Now knowing that it is 'simply' an old, unresolved bug, I made a simple workaround; as invoking startx a second time seemed to work, I simply added it a second time to .profile, and thus far seems to be working. :P Thanks for your help everybody, and thanks for making such an awesome distro.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
When using Xvesa, opening a gtk app gives me buggy display, until I close it, to the point where it is unusable; Xorg, obviously, does not work without said drivers, and as such, going the route of Xorg + xf86-video-intel was my only real choice.

What about Xorg vesa or fbdev drivers?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
I used to have an old intel graphics chipset a while back - it wouldn't work with Xvesa alone, but the 915resolution extension got it working.