WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Do you know any distros that run XBMC?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

Do you know any distros that run XBMC?
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
Do you know any distros that run XBMC?

I would much prefer to use xbmc on Tinycore but it simply does not work.

So, I've tried XBMCbuntu but due to having a brand new machine with windows 8, it does not work, I wish it did, but, it freezes at boot.

Point being, I need xbmc with a desktop as well.

Any ideas???

Thanks, George.

Offline sebus

Re: Do you know any distros that run XBMC?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Check Openelec

sebus

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply ...

I would try openelec but for some odd reason I can not boot from usb, even after setting the usb boot option before hd in the bios.

It's a brand new computer that I bought yesterday. I've always had old computers, but I think that with windows8 new bios, I'm coming across difficulties booting all ubuntu based distros and I can not boot from usb even after setting usb boot option in the bios.

And AFAIK, Openelec only boots off of usb.

So, Openelec and xbmcbuntu are a no go, so far.

It's strange.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:05:09 PM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
Uhmm... tried geexbox?
Not that I would know, in fact the introduction of xbmc is exactly what stopped me from continuing to use geexbox   >:(
Checking now before posting this, what I remember to be some cozy size of around 4MB once and for many years below 10MB at least, by now has become a 140MB  :o
Glad TC has evolved in the meantime...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline thane

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
Totally a stab in the dark from sheer ignorance, but could your boot problems be from this:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/microsoft_secure_boot.html

Sorry, beyond suggesting it as a possibility I don't have a clue how it works. Just something that came to mind when you said it was a brand new Windows box.

edit: More info here.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source-software/linux-foundation-releases-secure-boot-loader-212661
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:43:05 PM by thane »

Offline sebus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Sure, without secure boot any Win8 PC becomes just a normal PC
As to OE boot-ability...

You can even install it to local HD if you wish (so no, it is not limited to USB only)

sebus

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »
uh Xbmc will run on windows. I think it's download page shows which Linux distros will take it

www.xbmc.org/downloads.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Installing_XBMC_for_Linux

i mean you can just run free Bluestacks on your windows machine. GIves you android
then load xbmc for android.  ....etc...

Or then load ARCH linux from the android tools that can directly load up arch....then install the arch version....

V

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
I got so fed up and got sucked into the new windows. It's not so bad, but for that machine it was just easier to download xbmc for windows edition. So, yeah, I did. Haven't used windows in about 3 or 4 years though, haha. It definitely felt a bit weird, especially when I noticed Norton Anti Virus already installed on it. WOW, did that bring back memories. I know 3-4 years is not a very long time, but for someone that lives on the computer 24/7, it felt likes a century ago. Maybe someday I'll ditch this new windows 8, but I gotta admit, it's not as bad as I thought in the beginning...

However, it definitely took some getting used too. Anyhow, I just use it for a living room TV, ditched cable a long time ago. I can watch ANYTHING at ANYTIME with xbmc. I f*cking love it.

Thanks for the replies though, and YES I disbaled the bios setting that were holding me back, but still had issues.

Could not boot off of usb, and could NOT boot ANY ubuntu related distros, tinycore worked off that windows machine though, as well as puppy.

I'm just going to leave it on windows with xbmc for now.