WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore multiple users/homes?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline dlrider

tinycore multiple users/homes?
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
Hi,
My head is a swirl now after reading many threads toward understanding (unsuccessfully) how to set up a tiny core system for only three users.  I want a simplistic hd system where each user (my kids and I) have our own storage without prying eyes but one where the installed extensions are available to all three. 

I looked at using groups/user passwords (wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:security)   but found that there would be more work to get user logon and desktop to run (startx?).  I also felt that entering a password somewhere in the verbose boot up screen was not kid-friendly, at least not mine.

Second choice, which turns out nicely, is the boot loader menu Extlinux item password (wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:extlinux_passwd).  I'd like to pursue this idea: each of us has his own menu item with associated password to enter.  Is it possible (how?) to have each his own home?   But use the same "system" files so I have only one to update or add extensions for benefit of all three?

Third choice: another simplistic option?

I've come down from Ubuntu to Xubuntu to Tiny Core and find this works well for our needs.  Hey, Flash continues to work!  I just need this piece.

Thanks.

D.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: tinycore multiple users/homes?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »
You can define separate mydata= and lst= boot options so you can have private onboot lists and backup data.
Please spend some tine in the wiki.

Offline dlrider

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
You can define separate mydata= and lst= boot options so you can have private onboot lists and backup data.
Thank you very much.  I used mydata= successfully to get what I needed so far (maybe all I need).

Please spend some tine in the wiki.
I did and will continue.  Just needed something better to search for, or on the other hand, because the wiki is more of a "how-to" rather than a "what works well" guide, I came here after some fruitless time on the wiki, looking for experiences.  Will look next at what lst= is about.

Offline solorin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
re:login
i believe there's a boot option to make the startup screen less verbose.

re: accounts
not sure how much security you want between user accounts, but the contents of home and opt are usually just compressed to mydata.tgz on the disk when you backup. this is commonly accessible from the other accounts. for more security, there's an encryption boot option, which might entail more education.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:35:28 PM by solorin »
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline rms46

• Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
Hello:
Has anyone successfully tried to set multiple users, recently?

First, add user "tc1" with "adduser"
Second, add "noautologin" for the boot options
Third, add "tc1" to sudoers and add it to the .filetools.lst

I can login with "tc" but not with user "tc1". The message is:
/home/tc/.wbar permission denied.

In general, I also can not run X11 from outside. The message is:
"X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0" and
"Error: no display specified"

Did I miss something?

Regards,
RMS

This following is ROT13 -- Guvf sbyybjvat vf EBG13