WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bluetoothe  (Read 3701 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
bluetoothe
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
Hello,

Does TCL support "Bluetoothe" with any extensions or directly?

i purchased a tiny Bluetoothe dongle (50 cents) and wanted to drag files
off my cell phone to desktop. It's a tiny generic chinese BT dongle sold in excess
across the globe.

What would i need to do in TCL?

thxx  Vince.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: bluetoothe
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
Hi cast-fish
Have you tried a keyword search in AppBrowser for  bluetooth  to see what pops up?

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
not tried keyword....or searched the forum.....sorry about that...

i just figured to ask here first...

will do

thx

V.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
The issue would less one of bluetooth and more one that your cell phone actually allows you to copy files in this way.

You should be able to try things from the cli using the bluetooth and obex extensions and also using the  blueman extension.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
yes the cell phone allows everything..

thanks...

V.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
The bluetooth stack in linux is quite a heavyweight, even for just receiving a file. D-bus, many daemons, even some Gnome parts IIRC.

Infrared was much simpler, you launched one app to listen for a file, pointed the phone at the machine, sent the file.

BTW: Android got rid of Bluez in the next version. So looks like we'll have two linux bluetooth stacks soon. One one hand I don't really trust Broadcom to do something of quality, but then, their goals in doing that were good (not counting the anti-GPL-ism). They wanted to get rid of many of the deps like d-bus.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
hello

ye

Blue Toothe works flawlessly and hasstle free on win32 in seconds. It Could not be more simple.

These dongles are maybe the size of a finger nail....

It's my first ever try at using BT.....it works perfect from PHONE to COMPUTER and COMPUTER to PHONE and COMPUTER TO COMPUTER and PHONE to PHONE.....

(not sure how it will get along on linux)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bluetooth-USB-2-0-Dongle-Adapter-100m-PC-Laptop-/160563582210?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item256255d502

they sell new for 30 cents new if you bid....or "buy now" new at 99 cents  (free ship)

how does a tiny thing transmit 100 meters?....is that line of sight?

Vince.

Offline althalus

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
how does a tiny thing transmit 100 meters?....is that line of sight?
Because physics. (A more useful answer follows)

The figure on the packaging (100m in this case) is usually what you can expect under pristine lab conditions. Since none of us in the real world have that, don't be surprised if your range is closer to 50m (or maybe even less). Speed of the connection goes down the longer the distance is, as there are more lost or garbled packets that need to be resent.

Line of sight gives best results, but is not necessary. Whatever objects are in the way will affect signal strength and speed. For instance, if your signal passes through the walls of your bathroom, consider moving the location of the cell phone or computer. All the pipes in the walls play havoc with wireless and bluetooth.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
had to read it again.....although the Packaging may say 100 meters

the ebay advert says 20 meters.....send and recieve.....still a very long way for a tiny
fingernail device to pump radio waves

Vince.

Offline hiro

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
I also have such a small wifi stick, and I only buy phones with wifi because bluetooth never worked good, fast enough for me.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
ye Hirro

i measured bluetooth last night...it's 70 Kylobytes per second.....which seems a typical speed
people get from computer to phone...

Bluetooth is SO much slower than a USB 2.0 file transfer from desktop onto an PEN drive or SD card....

having said that...Bluetooth still works just fine for me here.....(really cheap good device....and 2 of the dongles can form a simple network between to PC's.....very hasstle free...

Vince.