WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: telnet not sending function keys properly  (Read 3786 times)

Offline thosey

telnet not sending function keys properly
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
When booting into micro core and using the telnet program the function keys are not supported. They place A, B, C and so on into the stream. I can get around this by using esc A "[A" then enter. When using core plus in the gui mode and opening a terminal window to use telnet I don't have this problem. Function keys send the "[A" characters to the stream. Any ideas what I may be missing?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: telnet not sending function keys properly
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
FWIW, fuction keys are working using dbclient on VT.

Kind of curious now for what purpose function keys could be needed with telnet...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline thosey

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
JDE or JD Edwards is what my company uses for most of its databases. I was looking to have micro core boot up on a HP T5710 and script it to start a telnet session into JDE. The T5710 has a flash based hard drive of 128MB so I wanted a small fast booting OS. I think the micro core fits the bill instead of me creating my own. When booting into X and using terminal there is no problem using telnet. Sort of weird.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
Maybe you might consider using dropbear instead of telnet to avoid a need of X.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »
Also you could give GNU inetutils telnet a try to see how that works.
Personally I wouldn't know of any service available through telnet making use of function keys, therefore I could not test such.

GNU inetutils are taking up more  space than dropbear but less than an X server.