WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Cannot get Midori web browser working...  (Read 7186 times)

Offline davec60

Cannot get Midori web browser working...
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
Hi,
I have previously downloaded Midori web browser and its various dependencies. There doesn't seem to be a problem 'loading' it ie. the icon appears on the desktop and the relevant file appears in /tmp/cloop etc. but whenever I try to actually get it running, nothing happens - this is the case whatever method I try. This is the only one of my downloads/installs that have failed to function. Can anyone offer any insight as to why this may be the case? Is the midori.tcz known to be problematic in some way?
Thanks,
davec

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Cannot get Midori web browser working...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:09 AM »
Hi davec60
failed to function.
That is very little information to go on. If you open a terminal and enter  midori  what happens?

Offline davec60

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your reply. Things have moved on a little since I first posted. I still cannot getting Midori working but the problem seems so messy that I think it will be easier all round if I just delete what I have got and start again from scratch assuming I decide to give Midori another chance.
Thanks again.
dave

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
Are you manually downloading from the website?
It should be trivial to download and use Midori when using the provided tools.
If you are using a remaster or otherwise hacked system then it would not be possible to know what you might be facing.

Midori is my choice of browser on less capable machines. Works great with flash too.
I am posting this from Midori on  a lowly eeePC with no hard drive, no flash drive, only tinycore on an  SDCARD. Yes, I salvaged this little machine from being thrown out!
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline davec60

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the midori.tcz about three weeks ago via the Apps Browser in the 'correct' manner. I assumed all of the dependencies were correctly downloaded at the same time. However, whenever I tried using it, it would not 'appear' on screen. I have subsequently learned that some of the 'libraries' were missing which I have manually acquired. That eventually brought up the browser screen but there was then a problem with missing icons and perhaps further problems with more missing libraries. I have decided to reject it completely and just use Firefox. I have recently read that Midori is known for its numerous problems (eg can't access my hotmail account via Slitaz using their Midori). Incidentally, I am also using an EeePC netbook. Anyway, thanks again for your consideration of the original problem.
Dave

Offline doggie

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
Not sure that is still relevant but when I just had the same issue this is the post Google 'directed' me to.

Starting with a standard install to USB of Tinycore 4.7 installed Conky and all the dependencies. Then installed Midori. Same thing happened - icon appeared in the wbar but clciking it did nothing.

I fixed it by installing Xorg-7.6.tcz; which in turn pulled in the dependencies Xorg-7.6-bin and Xorg-fonts.

I'm guessing the only step I didn't do which I should maybe have done is run Midori from Terminal to check for errors.