WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Signatures on Tiny Core Linux Forum  (Read 13966 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Signatures on Tiny Core Linux Forum
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
Tobias...Wilde communicated perfectly what you attempted to communicate,  using just  one sentence.. that's the point  :)

note: actually, he communicates more,  by highlighting the irony. 

you are obviously using irony, or unaware of the internet meme that attributes random quotes to oscar wilde. (1854-1900)

the words were mine. i envy people that can say anything succinctly, but i pity those who believe everything can (and should) be expressed in a sound bite. i strongly disagree that i said more as "oscar" than as myself.

the main advantage of using fewer words besides faster transmission is that it lets people come up with their own ideas- then they can feel like "more was said" but they're just adding to it themselves. it's like pointing at something -instead of- communicating it, fine but not ideal in every situation, or even for every person. too many soundbites, and we'll have nothing but newspeak. (edit: and none taken. second edit: link removed. sadly the page of fake oscar wilde quotes has been renamed or removed.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:31:28 PM by tobiaus »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
softwaregirl: ThaThank You Much, JPeters, for putting your big nose in exactly where it belonged at the exact right moment.  I was about to post how i would define God in this context.  Thanks to you i have decided against that.

:D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:54:38 PM by jpeters »

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
It becomes, as i have been saying in different forms for years:
Intelligence has nothing to do with the results of a test, it has only to do with ones willingness to learn.  An individual who repeatedly tests lower then an inanimate object ('He's dumber then a rock') is one of the most intelligent people I have ever known because of his willingness to learn.
comments solicited.

edit:
tobiaus:
[una paloma blanca, i'm just a bird in the sky!
a bird has the rather unique ability of flight.  us non-flying critters must artificially recreate this phenomenon at great cost.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:28:00 PM by softwaregurl »
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »
comments solicited.

the worst kind of smugness is the kind that makes linux gurus think anyone can put in the same amount of work they did and get the same amount of reward. some of them are very gifted and others very lucky. when you have a culture like the free software movement founded by such gifted people, sooner or later enough people will join that you must lower your expectations and not expect everyone to do everything the same way you do or even be able to.

some people put in ten times the amount of work and have nothing to show for it. the fallacy involved is no different than when the rich think laziness is the only reason poverty and homelessness exist. if you're honest it's a little more complicated than that. you're commenting on how life/linux feels for you, as if everyone will... where do you think "YMMV" comes from?

edit:
tobiaus:
[una paloma blanca, i'm just a bird in the sky!
a bird has the rather unique ability of flight.  us non-flying critters must artificially recreate this phenomenon at great cost.
[/quote]

i think this supports my point. i can already imagine a reason someone might think it doesn't. there's a lot of frustration in this reply and you mustn't think it's about you- it's not about you. but sometimes the things we say with good intentions open old wounds in people. sometimes you've intended one thing, you have no idea what it may mean to someone reading it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 05:42:32 AM »
One only needs to know one's limits to surpass them :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »
One only needs to know one's limits to surpass them :)

Another way of putting this is that the limits we perceive are generally self-imposed. 

edit: except when trying to get skype working. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:51:20 PM by jpeters »