WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: testdisk is orphaned and needs adoption  (Read 2099 times)

Offline netnomad

testdisk is orphaned and needs adoption
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
hi friends,

i contacted the maintainer of testdisk and got the reply that the package is orphaned and needs adoption.
testdisk is a very useful tool to undelete files, restore a deleted mbr or changed or lost partitions.

it would be great, if someone could adopt testdisk and update it to the current stable 6.13 version.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

thank you for your contributions and help.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: testdisk is orphaned and needs adoption
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »
TestDisk & PhotoRec are portable applications, extract the files and the applications are ready to be used. No need to run an installer.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline zerophnx

Re: testdisk is orphaned and needs adoption
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:51:35 AM »
6.13 is almost ready for submission, just want to test it a bit.

Only requires ncurses to run (though there was a configure option about that), but Ubuntu and some other distros show quite a few deps that might be optional.   

I'll make sure it works with what I have on hand (NTFS,FAT,FAT32, maybe I'll make an ext3/4 partition) before submitting.

edit: Added ntfs support (requires ntfsprogs now too). Photorec needs Xlibs, not sure if I should add that to the dep or mention it since Photorec wasn't the focus of the extension. Anyway...it should be submitted tonight or tomorrow. Dotting my 'i's and crossing my 't's
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:24:10 AM by zerophnx »